The CHO Cell Line Development group at the AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA is seeking a highly motivated Senior Scientist to join our team. The successful candidate will advance AbbVie’s biotherapeutics pipeline through the development and characterization of highly-productive recombinant CHO cell lines suitable for cGMP protein manufacturing. This individual will have a major role in cell and process optimization, focused on new methods and technologies (e.g., targeted integration, host cell engineering) to significantly enhance productivity, efficiency, quality, and timelines. A strong candidate will have in-depth experience in mammalian cell genetic engineering, genetic characterization and/or bioinformatics.
- Develop and characterize highly-productive stable CHO cell lines suitable for cGMP biotherapeutic manufacturing within project timelines.
- Conceive, investigate and execute scientific research and development to improve cell and process productivity, efficiency, robustness and product quality; develop new methods, build technical expertise and intellectual property, and deepen scientific understanding.
- Effectively collaborate and communicate with colleagues within and across functions.
- Routinely demonstrate scientific initiative and creativity in research or development activities.
- Highly autonomous and productive in performing laboratory research or method development, requiring only minimal direction from or interaction with supervisor.
- Formulate conclusions and design follow-on experiments based on multidisciplinary data.
- Initiate new areas of investigation that are scientifically meaningful, reliable, and can be incorporated directly into a research or development program.
- Demonstrate high proficiency across a wide range of relevant technologies.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the lab.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials, controlled drug and radioactive compounds, GxP compliance, and animal care where applicable.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the lab and/or pilot plant.
- Direct mentorship of others.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education and typically 10 years of experience, Master’s Degree or equivalent education and typically 8 years of experience, PhD and no experience necessary.
- Possess thorough theoretical and practical understanding of own scientific discipline.
Preferred qualifications include: Experience in one or more of the following: genetic engineering (e.g., CRISPR Knock-Out/Knock-Ins, ZFN, homologous recombination), targeted / site-specific integration, recombinase mediated cassette exchange (Cre/Lox, Frt/Flp), flow cytometry/fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS), genetic characterization and bioinformatics (e.g., PCR, ddPCR, RNASeq, qPCR, NGS), epigenetic studies (e.g., HiSeq, 4C, ATAC), and related skills.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.