AbbVie Analytical Research & Development (Analytical R&D) is a global analytical sciences organization responsible for all CMC analytical activities related to the development of AbbVie's pharmaceutical products. Our scope includes AbbVie's diverse pipeline of innovative small molecule and therapeutic biologic medicines and spans from the selection of Discovery candidate molecules through the transition of analytical methods and testing to commercial labs to support product launch. We are building a world-class team of scientists and leaders who will drive the advancement of industry-leading analytical capabilities and make meaningful contributions to advance AbbVie's pipeline of innovative medicines. Careers in AbbVie Analytical R&D provide unique opportunities to work with global and cross-functional teams to drive exceptional science and innovative product development strategies. We are looking for diverse candidates with strong scientific and leadership experience to join the AbbVie Analytical R&D team and can offer exciting and rewarding career opportunities for these candidates.
Scientists in the Center of Excellence for PAT (cPAT) within Global Technical Center of Analytical R&D at AbbVie work collaboratively with project teams through all phases of development (Lead Optimization to Process Validation). The best candidate for the current position will leverage broad knowledgebase in spectroscopy (primarily FTIR, NIR, and Raman or, NMR), in-situ particle characterization, mass spectrometry, and online LC to provide insight to multi-disciplinary project teams during drug substance and drug product development and scale-up. Familiarity in the use of multivariate analyses techniques (PLS, PCA) will efficiently lead to enhanced process understanding. Working with synthetic chemists, formulators, engineers, and operations staff, you will help enable data rich experimentation in laboratories and pilot plants, taking advantage of your knowledge of pharmaceutical/chemical unit operations. In this dynamic and fast-paced environment, your expertise, and insight will ensure that robust and reliable results are quickly provided to the project teams.
- Routinely demonstrate scientific initiative and creativity in research or development activities.
- Highly autonomous and productive in performing laboratory research or method development, requiring only minimal direction from or interaction with supervisor.
- Formulate conclusions and design follow-on experiments based on multidisciplinary data.
- May initiate new areas of investigation that are scientifically meaningful, reliable, and can be incorporated directly into a research or development program.
- A primary author of publications, presentations, regulatory documents and/or primary inventor of patents.
- Demonstrates high proficiency across a wide range of relevant technologies.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the lab and/or pilot plant.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials, controlled drug compounds, GxP compliance, where applicable.
- Direct mentorship of others
• Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. in Analytical/Physical Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Pharmaceutical Sciences typically with 10 to 12 (BS), 8 to 10 (MS), or 0 to 4 (Ph.D.) years industry experience in process development in pharma or related industry
• Strong technical background in analytical/physical chemistry, excellent analytical problem-solving skills
• Self-motivated, hard-working, detail-oriented individual able to work in a fast-paced team environment
• Able to learn quickly, feels comfortable working in cross-functional teams
• Experience in the use of computerized data handling systems
• High-quality written and oral communication skills and ability to interact effectively with interdisciplinary scientists and engineers
• Strong technical background using in-situ analytical techniques to develop mechanistic and process insight, as well as in the development of relevant control strategies will be advantageous
• Experience in working with stakeholders and collaborators to drive decisions
• The candidate is expected to provide stage appropriate analytical methods using in-line, on-line, or at-line analytical methodologies.
• Familiarity with currently available commercial PAT technologies is preferred, as is some experience with sample systems and custom instrument configurations
Key Leadership Competencies:
• Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
• Learns fast, grasps the "essence”, and can change course quickly when indicated
• Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
• Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
• Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced