We have a new opportunity for a Medical Science Liaison (MSL) to join the New Zealand team. In this exciting career opportunity, you will assist relationships and advance the scientific credibility of the Company with established and emerging external experts in the therapy area of oncology. The MSL will respond to requests for scientific/medical information and provide key scientific information updates to external experts, and internal stakeholders as appropriate.
- Provide scientific and technical leadership to ensure professional and credible relationships with thought leaders and external experts of strategic importance to AbbVie.
- Ensure a strong medical and scientific presence for AbbVie in key academic centres by facilitation of research and educational initiatives, while supporting requests for medical and scientific information on products or areas of therapeutic interest to AbbVie.
- Serve as a point of contact within the Medical Affairs team for thought leaders and external experts within an assigned geographic area in order to satisfy their needs for scientific knowledge in a therapeutic area and, when requested, relevant AbbVie medicines, to support their safe, effective and appropriate use.
- Deliver credible presentations on scientific matters to physicians, individually or in groups (meetings, clinical sessions, etc.), where requested.
- Attend relevant scientific meetings and conferences. Collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop summaries of key data and other scientifically relevant information to inform AbbVie strategic priorities and initiatives.
- Upon request, assist physicians with requests for access to AbbVie medicines on a named patient or compassionate use basis, subject to all applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- Provide key thought leaders / external experts and internal medical, market access and clinical teams with scientific and technical support for publications of scientific or medical interest.
- Assist in the site selection, initiation, oversight and follow up of assigned clinical studies and medical projects initiated within the therapeutic area of responsibility (e.g. post marketing clinical activities such as registry/database projects, epidemiological surveys, post-authorisation studies (phase IV).
- Act as the point of contact with thought leaders to facilitate investigator-initiated study (IIS) ideas and requests for support to the local and global medical teams as appropriate.
- Support internal teams such as sales and marketing and members of the Affiliate Brand Team to develop their scientific and technical expertise through the delivery of scientific update presentations.
- Participate in the selection process to identify appropriately qualified thought leaders the Company would wish to engage in collaborative efforts – such as potential research collaborations, or educational (e.g., Congress, Symposia) and advisory roles; while ensuring a high level of scientific or educational integrity in these collaborative efforts.
- Facilitate medical and scientific field intelligence – for example, competitor research and medical strategies, educational activities – and communicate, where appropriate, within the Company, including cross-functional gap assessments.
- Ensure that all activities and interactions are conducted with due regard to all applicable local, global and national laws, regulations, guidelines, codes of conduct, Company policies and accepted standards of best practice.
ACCOUNTABILITY & SCOPE
- Engage with identified external thought leaders using information that has been reviewed and approved by relevant local procedures, and under the direction, governance and oversight of the MSL’s manager, therapeutic area Medical Manager, or Affiliate Medical Director as appropriate. This includes working with local Medical Information teams, as appropriate, to respond to unsolicited requests for off-label information on AbbVie medicines.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with thought leaders in the product / therapeutic area of assigned responsibility, to facilitate AbbVie research and educational priorities and strategic initiatives.
- Support and develop their scientific communications plan, aligned with global and agreed local scientific priorities.
- Communication of scientific and technical insights to local therapeutic team, and if applicable the AbbVie Brand teams
- Ensure adherence to all applicable national laws and regulations, guidelines, codes of conduct, AbbVie standards, policies and procedures.
- Advanced degree (e.g. PharmD, MD, PhD) in a relevant scientific discipline is preferred but candidates with an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline and demonstrated experience will be considered.
- Experience in developing and maintaining expert knowledge for the assigned therapeutic area, and in medical research in general.
- Solid knowledge of the pharmaceutical environment and the role of Medical Affairs to advance the medical and scientific objectives of a pharmaceutical company.
- Demonstrated expertise in the scientific methods applied to clinical research and current legislative/regulatory controls applicable to this research.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to comprehensively learn about new subject areas and environments.
- Excellent written and spoken communication and presentation skills, with a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong collaborative relationships with thought leaders, physicians, and other healthcare decision makers.
- A good understanding of written and oral English is desirable.
- High customer orientation.
- Strong commitment to compliance with the relevant rules and procedures, and to scientific quality and integrity
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced