The Postdoctoral Program is designed for investigational and experimental research. Participants will be mentored by renowned industry scientists and collaborators at AbbVie and focused on delivering cutting-edge advancements in Discovery, Development Sciences, and BioPharma. This enriching training program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience which fosters a learning environment to advance individual development and offers accessibility to high-level knowledge-building across the drug development continuum
To be successful in our goals as an organization, we developed the AbbVie Postdoc Program for outstanding individuals willing to challenge themselves to find the best solutions for our patients.
You will be a technical expert who will investigate, identify, develop, and optimize new methods / techniques to address critical project needs. AbbVie Postdoctoral Fellows continuously seek to improve existing laboratory methods and processes, read and adapt literature to accomplish assignments, and demonstrate mastery of a broad range of experimental techniques and methods of data analysis.
We are seeking scientists from key academic institutions within preferred areas of science in the U.S. to provide a unique opportunity for participants to build a solid career foundation in the pharmaceutical industry while building the AbbVie brand as an employer of choice for scientific talent. This assignment is expected to last 2-4 years, though exceptions may be made for certain postdoctoral assignments.
We are looking for the incoming Postdoc class to join AbbVie as the company is positioning itself for another significant year of growth and for the continuing advancement of its patient-driven science and its strategic priorities. In a collaborative, resource rich environment, you and your scientific mentor will be exploring, investigating, and evaluating key areas of novel research with publication(s) as the end point. We have an exceptional postdoctoral opportunity within the Formulation sciences group at the Abbvie headquarters in Lake Bluff area, north of Chicago. The Postdoc will join the team engaged in the development of high drug load amorphous formulations. The project aims to investigate the use of directly engineered amorphous drug nanoparticles in development of a high drug load re-dispersible oral solid dosage form.
We have demonstrated feasibility of obtaining re-dispersible amorphous formulation powder intermediates with greater than 60% drug load for certain model compounds and additional studies will focus on exploring the physicochemical and formulation design space where the proposed concept of particle-based high drug load formulation design can be applied. Subsequently, studies will be center on evaluation of downstream processes for conversion of the amorphous powder intermediate into a high drug load final dosage form. The proposed research is high impact and has the long-term potential to significantly reduce pill burden associated with certain therapies. It is envisioned that the researcher will have regular interactions with a multi-disciplinary team of scientists across formulation sciences, process engineering, and analytical sciences. Altogether, the proposed studies and associated experiences would provide an excellent opportunity to achieve proficiency in pharmaceutical sciences.
- Design and conduct experiments to test the proposed formulation concepts
- Generate new research strategies to effectively address the project needs
- Collaborate with functional and technical experts to facilitate scientific achievement
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting
- Effectively write and communicate research materials
- Resolve research hurdles by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into the project
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences aligned with business objectives
- Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility in maintaining scientific standards, and safe laboratory practices for self and reporting staff, if any
- Ph.D. in physical pharmacy, pharmaceutics, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, or material sciences.
- Record of scientific initiative and creativity in research or development activities.
- Capable of independently designing and executing experiments, interpreting data, and identifying appropriate follow-up strategies
- Capable of implementing new technologies to achieve project goals.
- Excellent project management skills. Ability to multitask and work within timelines.
- Demonstrated scientific writing skills and strong verbal communication skills.
- Global mindset to thrive in a diverse culture and environment.
- Two letters of recommendation (including one from the Thesis Advisor)
- Letter of intent to pursue Postdoc
- Completion of PhD by Summer/Fall 2022
- Familiarity with concepts of oral drug delivery.
- Experience with formulation enabling technologies for delivery of low solubility molecules, specifically amorphous dispersions.
- Experience with technologies such as tangential flow filtration, thin film-evaporation, spray-drying, fluid bed granulation, impinging jet microfluidics, hot-melt extrusion, nanoparticles, etc. is a plus.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages to reality
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced