Job Description Summary
The Finance Shared Service organization was established as one of the key new operating models for AbbVie to provide accurate financial accounting and reporting for all international affiliates. The position will play a critical role in the preparation of financial statements for Mexico for US GAAP and Local GAAP. This position will work closely with a number of stakeholders across the organization to support financial decision-making process by collecting, analyzing and reporting financial data.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Review changes to chart of accounts.
- Review key account reconciliations and drive improvement action plan.
- Review monthly balance sheet variances vs benchmark and provide commentary.
- Work closely with affiliate and Area on creation and submission of yearly entity, DSO, and balance sheet plan.
- Review and settle intercompany disputes.
- Manage and coordinate the financial close process.
- Implement the corporate reporting requirements in the region.
- Account for special projects, e.g., mergers, acquisitions, investments, disposals, etc.
- Communicate and coordinate controlling master data updates.
- Review financial and accounting analysis involving complex transactions including but not limited to fixed asset activity, intercompany activity, and cost allocations.
- Research and resolve discrepancies and technical accounting issues as necessary.
- Work closely with personnel in all departments to ensure compliance with company accounting and operational guidelines as well as GAAP.
- Assist in audit preparation and all other projects assigned.
- Propose accounting treatment in line with corporate policies for complex transactions.
- Work in close partnership with the Finance Director and Controller to ensure integrity of the ledgers and full compliance with Accounting Policies.
- Propose and implement initiatives aimed to improve efficiency and quality of the process.
- Interpretation and roll out of local accounting policy/standards.
- Preparation of Standard Operating Procedures & Flow charts for Affiliate Local GAAP.
- Review month-end close and ensure compliance with local accounting standards and policy.
- Perform the local GAAP accounting close for assigned country:
- Reconciliation between local and US GAAP: validating all documents have been posted to local ledgers.
- Controlling of revaluation of financials and non-financial assets (Fixed Assets, PP&E, GW/Intangibles, Inventory, FX, etc.).
- Reclasses of T&E expenses, Payroll & Benefits expenses, and others.
- Other Local GAAP Journal entries (i.e., Revenue recognition, Pension, Equity, Employee share-based compensation (U.S. GAAP) vs. All share-based payments (IFRS).
- Local GAAP Account reconciliations including tax account reconciliations.
- Generate monthly reports to comply with the Mexico E-Accounting requirements and ensuring follow up on pending issues to meet compliance.
- Quarterly Local Balance Sheet Account reviews (if different than US GAAP ones).
- Generate and distribute monthly reports.
- Statutory Reporting support (country assigned):
- Coordination of calendar with external auditors, tax department and service providers.
- External Audit support, liaison with external auditors, actuaries, etc.
- Manage the Statutory calendar.
- Support the process of local tax provision calculation and income tax return.
- VAT and Withholding Filings.
- Support the review process of the accounting for local tax returns.
- Miscellaneous reporting filings (e.g., statistical reporting).
- Constantly look for improvement opportunities in direct responsibility, but not limited to and drive implementation (compliance, quality, and process efficiency).
- SAP & Accounting Systems.
- Reconciliation Tool (Blackline preferred).
- MS Office.
- Chart of Accounts.
- SOX Policies.
- Intercompany Transaction Policy.
- Fixed Asset Accounting Policy.
- Inventory Management Policy.
- Project Accounting Policy.
- Cost/Inventory Accounting Policy.
- Treasury Policy and Banking Systems.
- Business Process, Corporate Policy (compliance &completeness).
- Financial Data Flows.
- Knowledge on Mexico’s Electronic Accounting.
- Advanced Accounting (US GAAP and IFRS or any local GAAP).
- Financial Statement Analysis.
- Cost/Inventory Accounting.
- Project Accounting.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or equivalent.
- 5 plus years of relevant experience in accounting, planning and financial analysis.
- Experience with SAP a plus.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and verbal skills enabling effective communication with all levels of management.
- Individual must be self-motivated with great follow-up skills and be able to work independently.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills are required.
- Ability to integrate perspectives with strong sense of ownership and focus on results.
- Project management and change management experience.
- Strong organizational skills required to coordinate and manage multiple cross divisional work process and projects.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required.
- Experience in pharmaceutical industry would be an asset.
- Experience with continuous improvement projects and practical application of CPI methodologies (Lean, Six Sigma) would be an asset.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns, fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced