Individual will develop and execute in vivo models, as well as perform a range of cell and tissue-based in vitro assays to support the development and differentiation of implantable biomaterials in support of Allergan Aesthetics’ Medical Device franchises. Under general supervision and with limited supervisor input, the candidate will be expected to develop and analyze results tailored to the in vitro and in vivo evaluation of cell/tissue interactions with biomaterials. Techniques employed will include intradermal and subcutaneous injection in small or large animals, 3D imaging, histology, microscopy, as well as common practices in cell and molecular biology, such as cell culture, PCR, and ELISA. Proficiency in in vivo animal handling and care, as well as good overall working knowledge of common laboratory techniques in a BSL 2 environment is essential. It is also expected that the incumbent has the ability to successfully perform experiments with routine troubleshooting, keep accurate records and facilitate interpretation and analysis of experimental data with the support of the manager. Additional day to day activities may include statistical analysis of results, staying current in the relevant therapeutic areas, and some lab support activities including ordering materials and general lab organization.
The employee must conduct their work activities in compliance with all AbbVie, Irvine internal requirements and with all applicable regulatory requirements, including knowledge of operating in a controlled environment per the requirements of 21 CFR 820, ISO 13485 and ISO 14971. AbbVie, Irvine internal requirements include compliance with ethics, environmental health and safety, financial, human resources, and general business policies, requirements and objectives.
- Develop and execute in vivo and in vitro assays to evaluate the tissue response to implantable biomaterials.
- Perform studies to develop and qualify new test methods and procedures.
- Analysis and interpretation of results, presentation preparation for internal and external stakeholders.
- Document and prepare summaries of results and methods.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a scientific field (Biology, Bioengineering, Chemistry or related) plus 4+ years post-graduate experience in industry OR Master with equivalent experience of at least 2 years.
- Experience with animal and tissue studies, including in vivo animal handling/surgeries, in situ, ex vivo and in vitro models required.
- Experience using various cell and molecular biology techniques to examine cell/tissue and biomaterial interactions.
- Some experience conducting ex vivo tissue manipulation for assay performance desirable
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced