Allergan Aesthetics R&D, Biological Research is seeking a highly motivated and innovative candidate for the role of Senior Scientist I - Protein Engineering within the discovery Biological Research department. The successful candidate will leverage their strong technical expertise in molecular biology and protein engineering techniques to conceive, design and execute the engineering of innovative biotherapeutics with improved efficacy, selectivity and developability. The candidate will be required to propose, design, and execute cloning and purification strategies while demonstrating exceptional troubleshooting skills.
Expertise in construct design, mutagenesis, molecular cloning, Sanger Sequencing, protein expression and protein purification are requisite. Additional expertise with protein characterization (ELISA, Western Blot, dynamic light scatter (DLS), HPLC, surface plasmon resonance (SPR) is beneficial but not required.
The candidate will organize, analyze, and interpret results and make project recommendations. The candidate will also communicate and present his/her projects and results in team meetings and reports. He/she will collaborate extensively with other Research Scientists and Associates, while taking personal responsibility for the success of assigned tasks and projects. Experimental design will be guided in consultation with management, but the candidate is expected to independently conduct and develop modified or new techniques for conducting experiments.
Highly motivated, hands-on experimentalist who thrives in a collaborative, multidisciplinary environment.
- Proven experience in molecular biology and plasmid construction (PCR, site-directed mutagenesis, restriction enzyme-based cloning, ligase independent cloning (LIC))
- Hands-on experience with Sanger DNA Sequencing (e.g., Applied Biosystems Genetic Analyzer 3500)
- Skilled in bioinformatics and sequence design/analysis software (e.g., BLAST, SnapGene, Geneious Prime)
- Proficient in protein purification techniques (IMAC, IEX, SEC, HIC) with practical experience with AKTA FPLC purification systems
- Experience with protein characterization techniques including SDS-PAGE, western blots, ELISAs
- Familiarity with modeling software (Pymol) and its application to protein design.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education and typically 10 years of experience, Master’s Degree orequivalent education and typically 8 years of experience, PhD and 0-4 years’ experience.
- Possess thorough theoretical and practical understanding of Molecular Biology, Biochemistry and/or related discipline.
Other Professional Skills:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required as is experience with documentation of experimental plans, analyzing data and generating high quality technical reports
- Meticulous attention to detail and diligence in record keeping.
- Experience in data analysis and graphing software
- Skilled in chemical principles, theories, techniques and concepts, especially as applied in the laboratory.
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills required.
- Highly autonomous and productive in performing laboratory research or method development, requiring only minimal direction from or interaction with supervisor.
- Collaborative attitude, while maintaining ownership
- Experience with dynamic light scatter (DLS), HPLC and surface plasmon resonance (SPR) a plus.
- Strict adherence to safety policies and procedures.
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. If you would like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email CorpJat_ABV@abbvie.com.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced