Allergan Aesthetics, an AbbVie Company, is seeking a highly motivated and innovative candidate for the role of Senior Scientist I, Protein Biophysical Research within the discovery Biological Research department. The successful candidate will be a key member of a bioanalytical team and contribute expertise to cross-functional discovery research project teams informing the design, engineering, and selection of new protein-based therapeutics for advancement. As part of a matrixed organization, he/she will have a critical role in developing and executing discovery-based biophysical characterization studies to select, optimize, and prioritize, therapeutic protein candidates with for advancement from exploratory discovery through transition to development.
The Senior Scientist I is responsible for bioanalytical characterization of early-stage discovery proteins and peptides with an emphasis on protein-protein interactions, biophysical characterization, and structural biology methods. Expertise with surface plasmon resonance and other technologies to characterize protein-protein interactions is required. Experience with dynamic light scattering (DLS), differential scanning fluorimetry (DSF), circular dichroism (CD), differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), isothermal titration calorimetry (ITC), capillary electrophoresis (SDS-CD, cIEF) and intrinsic protein fluorescence is required. Familiarity with HPLC separation methods (RP, SEC, IEX, HIC), including size-exclusion chromatography with multi-angle light scattering (SEC-MALS) is desired. Knowledge of protein structural biology and experience with protein computational tools and bioinformatics is beneficial. He/She will provide scientific leadership as a subject matter expert and will collaborate closely with a team of protein expression/purification, cell biology, and in vivo scientists. He/She will independently plan experiments and execute protocols in support of group goals, depending on departmental and program needs.
The position requires the candidate to productively interact with cross-functional and matrixed teams. He/she must be skilled in communicating and collaborating with discovery project team members at all grade levels and with diverse backgrounds, skill sets, and levels of expertise. He/She will maintain a productive and inclusive collaborative laboratory environment consistent with department and company expectations. The candidate must conduct all work activities in compliance with AbbVie internal and applicable regulatory requirements.
- Characterize protein-ligand or protein-protein interactions to inform project decisions regarding biotherapeutic protein candidates
- Apply biophysical characterization techniques to early Discovery-stage protein candidates to drive selection of candidates for further characterization or optimization
- Collaborate with project teams to develop and optimize biophysical characterization methods, assays, screens, and deploy those methods to support team decisions related to candidate characterization and projects.
- Interpret results using principles of structural biology and biophysical characterization methods to determine molecular characteristics to aid in optimizing protein candidates for enhanced expression, purification, and stability.
- Maintain reagent supplies, laboratory notebooks, and summarize results in written reports. Communicate observations to ensure that colleagues and project teams receive data and guidance in a timely manner.
- Actively participate on cross-functional project teams and provide support to other groups and external departments. Openly share scientific expertise and collaboratively help the team to formulate solutions to research challenges.
- Develop protocols, train staff, and maintain the laboratory consistent with departmental and company requirements.
- Maintain a good and current knowledge of the scientific and technical literature pertinent to the project and necessary for development of state-of-the-art analytical methods, including the acquisition of reasonable and necessary equipment.
- Keep up to date on current and cutting-edge developments in the biologics characterization field.
- Make high quality scientific presentations at cross-functional team and management meetings.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education and typically 10 years of experience, Master’s Degree or equivalent education and typically 8 years of experience, PhD and no experience necessary.
- Possess thorough theoretical and practical understanding of own scientific discipline.
- Ability to multitask and work within timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to learn, understand and master new experimental techniques.
- Demonstrated scientific writing skills and strong verbal communication skills
Applicable to California Applicants Only
· The below range is the range that we in good faith believe is the range of possible compensation for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and this range is only applicable for jobs to be performed in California.
This range may be modified in the future.
· The salary range is (minimum: $ 83,500 to maximum: $ 163,500)
· This job is eligible to participate in our short-term incentive program
· This job is eligible to participate in our long-term incentive programs
· We offer comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (vacation, holidays, sick), medical/dental/vision insurance and 401(k) to eligible employees.
- Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, incentive, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole discretion, consistent with the law.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.