AbbVie’s Foundational Neuroscience Center (FNC) in Cambridge, Massachusetts aims to discover breakthrough treatments for Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and other neurodegenerative diseases, by conducting in-depth research into fundamental pathological mechanisms, and targeting those mechanisms with world-leading small molecule and biologic drug discovery capabilities. Our goal is to produce novel drug candidates that modulate proteostatic mechanisms, protein aggregation, and microglial biology in neurodegenerative diseases by targeting mechanisms that emerge from novel in house-research including transcriptomic profiling using Next-Generation Sequencing and other insights.
We are seeking a scientist responsible for performing molecular biological research on target identification and validation for early drug discovery of neurodegenerative diseases.
- Design and perform advanced molecular biology techniques including gene expression analysis and next-generation sequencing for target identification and validation research in neurodegenerative diseases.
- Perform RNA and DNA extraction and quality control.
- Perform qPCR or dPCR.
- Construct sequencing libraries, and run Illumina sequencing platform.
- Collaborate with colleagues at various AbbVie and external sites.
- Analyze and summarize data and participate in the interpretation of results.
- Communicate with colleagues to discuss projects and experiment status and results.
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment, and manage supplies.
- Develop scientific and technical proficiency as necessary for project completion.
- Develop novel advanced transcriptional profiling methods, apply to ongoing projects.
- BS, MS, PhD or equivalent in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Neuroscience, or related field, with 5-10 (BS), 2-8 (MS), or 0+ (PhD) years of experience.
- Strong skillset in molecular biology techniques (RNA/DNA isolation and QC).
- Experience with medium-throughput screening (qPCR and dPCR).
- Experience with next-generation sequencing (bulk RNA-seq, scRNA-seq, snRNA-seq and CITE-seq).
- Ability to independently execute and analyze experiments and troubleshoot technical challenges.
- Experience with automated laboratory system (KingFisher Flex and Bravo workstation).
- Experience in working in multidisciplinary teams, and in external collaboration.
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced