Executes against the Medical Affairs plan for Japan. Provides scientific education and training initiatives across Allergan Aesthetic’s portfolio of BOTOX® and JUVEDERM®. Performs field visits with key physicians and stakeholders, organizing advisory board meetings, facilitating clinical trials, and serving as the medical resource for both external and internal stakeholders. This position has no connection to commercial sales perf ormance and is a non-promotional role. The primary focus is providing Healthcare Professionals with fair and balanced scientific information.
As an internal medical/technical/scientific resource, the role has the opportunity to engage with Allergan customers and ultimately impact the success of the business. The role requires competency in practical aspects of patient care, and the ability to use medical and scientific information to facilitate engagement of physicians and others in the clinical and basic scientific issues relevant to Allergan’s products. A high level of travel/field time is to be expected within this position (approximately 60% of time spent outside the office and up to 50% outside Tokyo area depending on the business need).
REPORTS TO (TITLES):
Medical Director, Japan (direct reporting line)
JOBS SUPERVISED (TITLES):
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES % TIME
Business Planning - 15%
• Work closely with the Commercial leaders and Medical Director to set priorities & activities.
• Ensure up-to-date knowledge of Allergan’s Facial Aesthetic products, relevant disease states and conditions. Provide interpretation and perspective to competitor activities.
External Training and Education - 30%
• Through field visits, improve doctors’ awareness of Allergan’s Facial Aesthetics products. Share scientific data supporting their use
• Work closely with the commercial team to facilitate training to physicians, and provide proper engagement to thought leaders and doctors externally. Help shape the company’s leadership image within the specialty area.
• Ensure the future success of Allergan by identifying doctors-in-training with specialty interests which lie within the company’s therapeutic range and fostering relationships through educational initiatives.
• Provide scientific and clinical information to Healthcare Professionals on request.
Thought Leadership - 20%
• Identify key researchers and physicians critical to the knowledge base and disease awareness relevant to the success of each of Allergan’s Facial Aesthetic products in the specialty area.
• Facilitate greater understanding of medical practice patterns, educational and training needs; organize local activities with key stakeholders.
• Present and communicate Allergan’s scientific perspective and vision at customer meetings; plan meeting agendas with key stakeholders; interpret feedback and results.
• Ensure the maintenance of key relationships with physicians and administrators of specialty societies.
Phase IV Trials - 10%
• Identify and prioritize phase IV and investigator initiated study needs; ensure that the approval process and execution of all phase IV and IIS follow Allergan guidelines and policies.
Clinical Expertise - 10%
• Keep up-to-date on the status of scientific developments in the specialty areas within own country, Asia-Pacific and globally.
• Attend key relevant medical congresses locally, and as required, internationally for the purpose of extending medical knowledge, supporting the commercial team with medical expertise, establishing new business relationships, and strengthening existing relationships.
• Successful completion of Master degree/PhD (Health science) or MD degree
• Related specialist in Dermatology or experiences in the cosmetic product is preferred
• Minimum 1-2 years post-qualification work experience in Medical affairs or Marketing function.
• Experience working within the pharmaceutical industry or within clinical research is preferred
• Experience working collaboratively and cross-functionally in a matrixed structure, supporting multiple stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and convey clinical and non-clinical technical information effectively to individuals with varying degrees of scientific acumen.
• Demonstrated strong presentation and teaching skills with ability to effectively share information with others
• Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong relationships; to lead, engage and influence
• Experience applying analytical skills, to critically evaluate and effectively communicate key clinical data
• Experience working with technology, including systems such as Microsoft Office.
Technical/Professional Knowledge - Having achieved a satisfactory level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in Professional position-related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of Knowledge expertise.
KOL Engagement - Using appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to gain acceptance of a product, service, or idea from prospects and clients. Effectively meeting customer needs; building productive customer relationships; taking responsibility for customer satisfaction.
Customer Focus - Ensuring that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organization’s needs.
Communication - Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
Building Trust - Interacting with others in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization.
Applied Learning - Demonstrating zeal for new information, knowledge, and experiences; regularly seeking and capitalizing on learning opportunities; quickly assimilating and applying new information.
Initiating Action - Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
Building Partnerships- Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one's Partnerships area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
Leading through Vision and Values- Keeping the organization's vision and values at the forefront of associate decision Vision and Values making and action.
Planning and Organising-Establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed Organising efficiently.
Many Opportunities For:
• Promotional Opportunities
• Relationship Building
• High Involvement Member
• Influencing Others
• Recognition for Expertise
• Continuous Learning
This would be tailored according to business needs in the market.
Customer Focus- Every action we take is on the eye of the patients who benefit from our products & the physicians who trust our products
Impact - We make an impact – going the extra distance to get the very best results, applying the highest standards to all that we do. We Value and reward smart, fast action that gets meaningful results.
People + Passion - We succeed primarily through our people, whose talent brings quality to our work and whose passion brings commitment – not just from processes and structures alone.
Collaboration -We are committed to sharing out knowledge and collaborating as a team to reach common goals. We promote and encourage different personal and cultural perspectives that drive new thinking.
Innovation - We are uncomfortable with the status quo. We adapt, we improve, we have the courage to thoughtfully take risks as a team and seize new opportunities – for the company and ourselves.
Integrity - We get results the right way, without cutting corners. We are transparent, clear and respectful in our dealings with customers, co -workers and partners.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.