Senior Scientist II/Principal Scientist I – Eye Care Research - Retina
The AbbVie Eye Care Research group is seeking an accomplished scientist with a broad scientific skillset to make substantial contributions to our retina disease research and discovery efforts to develop therapies for sight-threatening disease. S/he/they will conceive of, execute, and communicate experiments for target identification/validation and discovery of novel therapeutics using a variety of in vitro and in vivo methodologies. The successful candidate will leverage collaboration with internal and external stakeholders/experts to find answers to scientific questions and move projects forward. They should be a highly motivated, hands-on experimentalist who is also capable of leading scientific projects. Emphasis is on the ability to successfully perform hands-on work, demonstrate scientific leadership skills, and interact in a team environment. Prior experience in fields of ophthalmology, retinal degeneration, or vision research is an asset, but not required. In addition, the candidate should have a strong track record of cross-functional collaborations along with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Designing and executing experiments to inform target biology using a variety of approaches to model disease processes, analyze signaling pathways, and evaluate structural and functional endpoints
- Utilizing and developing in vitro and in vivo models of ocular disease for target validation and discovery of novel therapeutics
- Identifying and validating pharmacodynamic readouts for novel targets
- Generating high-quality experimental data to identify and confirm the mechanism of action of lead compounds, antibodies, and gene therapies identified through target discovery efforts
- Presenting data and findings across various platforms, including project teams and extended research and discovery organization meetings
- Using decision making, organization and communication skills to effectively collaborate with colleagues from cross-functional teams
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of new technologies and relevant scientific advances in support of our research goals
- PhD in biochemistry or cell biology, pharmacology, oncology, immunology, neurobiology, or a related field with 4+ years of relevant post-graduate work experience.
- Drug development experience in a pharmaceutical or biotech industry setting is highly desired.
- Expertise in gene therapy is desired.
- Strong analytical skills and proficient at complex data analysis and interpretation
- Must have strong communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with both internal and external stakeholders, and to audiences of diverse backgrounds
- Highly motivated, self-driven and results-oriented person, comfortable working independently in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrate high degree of flexibility in adapting to different projects and personalities as well as excellent networking and relationship-building skills (both internal and external)
**Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled**
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Type: Experienced