Want to make a global impact? We offer that
Lead a high performing international team? We offer that too
At AbbVie, our strength lies in our team of experts who conduct ground-breaking science on a global scale every day. In choosing your career & life path, choose to be extraordinary!
We are excited to be recruiting a Director, Process Safety and Design to join our Global Engineering leadership team. Reporting directly to the Vice President of Global Engineering in this role, you will have high visibility to the Operations executive leadership team as a key leader and globally recognized Subject Matter Expert - sharing your knowledge and expertise to ensure that we deliver best-in-class process design in the projects that we execute and throughout our global manufacturing network. As one of the leading Top Employers globally, we have a strong employee-focused foundation and, in this role, you will be expected to bring new ideas, industry best practices and innovative solutions so that we are continuously ensuring our manufacturing facilities operate at the highest standards of engineering design and process safety.
Are you intrigued? Do you want to learn more?
Working with business unit Vice Presidents and Site Directors, your team will lead process design reviews in the early stages of our capital projects and will challenge the design of existing processes at our manufacturing sites to ensure that all potential process safety failure modes have been assessed, safeguards identified, and recommendations implemented.
A snapshot of your key responsibilities as Director, Process Safety and Design are:
• You will be a trusted partner and establish process safety strategy for the global manufacturing network, providing Leadership with regular updates on the manufacturing sites and continuous improvement initiatives related to Process Safety Management (PSM).
• Successfully engaging globally across all manufacturing sites, collaborating with site leadership to create defined timelines for the implementation of process safety recommendations and continuous improvement goals. You will have joint responsibility with Site Directors to ensure that timelines are achieved.
• With your team of SMEs, you will be accountable to drive global network Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) efforts, capital project design reviews, process safety training and other process safety initiatives.
• Design, develop, implement and monitor the process safety roadmap for the global network with an overarching focus to drive standardized processes, reduce risk, eliminate failure modes and ensure global compliance.
• Leveraging your background in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or related technical field, provide technical support to global network of sites on design and process safety related issues.
• Drive continuous improvement process safety culture across the network. Be a visible leader for AbbVie’s Zero. Believe it. Achieve it.(ZBA) philosophy.
• Collaborating globally to build and maintain strong knowledge of process safety concepts and standards.
• Maintain currency with industry best practices, Best Available Technologies (BAT), and trends. Share this knowledge with peers and leadership.
• Lead process safety reviews, during design and start-up for major capital projects across the global network. Provide technical input for Requests for Capital Expenditure (RCE) to ensure that significant safety and environmental aspects are properly integrated during the Front-End Planning design process for new product introduction, product-transfer between sites, and changes to existing processes and equipment.
• Lead the hazard screening process for Tech Transfers and New Product Introductions.
• With your team, support the process safety element of internal EHS audits to ensure compliance with applicable standards and policies, adoption of best practices to identify and manage risk, and conformance to company directives.
• Develop network dashboard of process safety related KPIs to measure continuous improvement progress.
Qualifications - External
So, what do you need to do this role?
• You will have a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Chemical Engineering, or other technical field preferably in engineering or life sciences.
• Experience leading and coaching a diverse team to success, adapting your leadership style as needed to excel.
• Ability to partner with, influence and guide decision making at global senior leadership level.
• 10+ years’ experience in the pharmaceutical and/or chemical industries in engineering or manufacturing support environment.
• Demonstrated experience in process engineering, process design or a technical safety discipline.
There will be up to 30% travel with this role due to the global nature of the position.
So, are you ready to take on this role?
It’s important to remember, AbbVie is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop innovative solutions for patients and being part of an inclusive work environment