AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Scientific IT group at AbbVie Bioresearch Center supports a variety of technical computing workloads serving a community of scientists focusing on pharmaceutical R&D. This position offers the opportunity to work in a cross functional team of informatics scientists and IT professionals in building a next generation scientific compute platform. We are looking for an exceptionally driven and hands-on Senior Storage and Data Operations Engineer to assist in expanding our internal cloud and data management strategies. The candidate must possess a solid understanding of Local and Cloud Storage (e.g. Object Storage/S3, Weka, Starfish), Data Operations, Infrastructure as Code, IT Automation/DevOps, and System Administration. Experience with the biopharmaceutical and/or life sciences preferred. A successful candidate will be someone who actively seeks out new opportunities and excels in applying novel approaches to complex IT problems, can work independently and see projects from start to finish, has strong verbal and written communication skills, and can interact directly with stakeholders.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
· Define, plan, and execute upon designs to create innovative enterprise cloud and on-prem data operations and storage solutions, including analysis of technical alternatives across technology disciplines to meet business requirements and appropriate backup/redundancy requirements. Successfully negotiates technical design, and deployment strategy with divisional clients.
· Work as a key liaison between IT and business stakeholders on various projects and initiatives, e.g. prototyping, testing, and tuning data processing and acquisition pipelines
· Mastery of various storage, backup, and recovery technologies and models, e.g. CIFS, SMB, NFS, Weka, S3, Kubernetes Volumes, Isilon, Starfish, etc.
· Experience with orchestration and automation pipelines, e.g. Ansible, Jenkins, Azure DevOps, etc.
· Use AbbVie values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration
- Bachelor’s Degree with 7 year’s experience; Master’s Degree with 6 years of experience; PhD with 2 year’s experience in Computer Science, IT, Bioinformatics or related field
- Proven experience in Cloud Operations and Design (AWS Preferred)
- Strong Data Operations and Data Storage Experience
- Ability to align with business and IT stakeholders to define and execute upon strategic goals and initiatives within AbbVie as they pertain to Storage Planning and Data Operations
- Experience in scripting languages (Bash, Python)
- Some experience with orchestration and automation tools or platforms (Jenkins, Git Flow)
- Experience in the planning, deployment, and management of Linux systems (RHEL, Ubuntu)
- Experience with containerization tools (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience implementing and deploying Infrastructure as Code (Ansible, JIRA, CloudFormation, Terraform)
- Experience working in a Data Science, Life Sciences or Pharmaceutical Industry
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate excellent project management and communication skills with a strong demonstration of commitment to customer service
- Good documentation skills are essential
- Comfortable working in a dynamic environment and developing flexible solutions to meet evolving requirements
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work requirements with minimal supervision and to delegate and oversee tasks that team members are assigned to
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills: demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with scientists, developers, application analysts, managers and IT
- Strong problem solving and negotiation skills
- Requires minimal direction from leadership and possesses the ability to learn quickly
- Ability to successfully negotiate and collaborate with others of different skill sets, backgrounds and levels within and external to the organization
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.