Biologics Discovery Sciences at AbbVie is seeking a highly skilled and self-motivated scientist to join a dynamic team supporting biologics drug discovery. This position will impact all Discovery Research therapeutic areas and projects through analytical and functional characterization of biopharmaceutical products such as monoclonal antibodies in high throughput. The ideal candidate should have extensive experience with high-throughput analytical characterization platforms (e.g., SPR, DSF, MS). The applicant should be an enthusiastic, creative scientist with a deep understanding of antibody discovery and development who will make tangible contribution to the continuous improvement and innovation within the organization.
- Develop, validate, and execute assays that generate objective selection criteria for panels of antibodies and antibody-like biologics.
- Advance our understanding of the intrinsic biophysical and biochemical properties that are necessary for successful development of biopharmaceuticals.
- Evaluate and integrate state-of-the-art protein: protein interaction based technologies to improve therapeutic candidate selection, and demonstrate creative “out-of-the-box” thinking to solve difficult problems
- Utilize a broad technical knowledge including a wide variety of analytical and structural methods, HDX-MS, SAXS, X-ray crystallography, and biophysical methods such as DSC/DSF, DLS, CD, and AUC.
- Conceive and implement novel methods for advanced predictive computational approaches to deepen our understanding the rules that govern antibody: antigen interactions.
- Perform antibody Fc characterization studies supporting regulatory submissions.
- Apply experience understanding antibody: antigen epitope and paratope interactions and how they relate to biopharmaceutical development.
- Implement high-throughput epitope binning for large panels of monoclonal antibodies and develop deep knowledge of antibody sequence/function relationships.
- Identify and solve technical problems independently, conceive and implement innovative process research ideas
- Serve as a biologics lead for cross-functional teams, and contribute scientific insights into multiple projects across various therapeutic areas; recognized and sought out as an expert in protein purification within the company and externally
- Provide project update, analysis and advice to cross-functional teams and senior management
- Present original work internally across departments and at internal and external scientific conferences; may author or co-author peer-reviewed scientific papers or patents
- Supervise a team of 3-4 scientists, evaluate team performance, and is accountable for the effective performance of team
- PhD or MS degree in Biochemistry, Biochemical engineering or related disciplines 6+ (PhD) or 12+ (MS) years of experience
- Experience in analytical/functional characterization of Biologics using Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR) platforms (e.g., Biacore T200 and 8K, Carterra LSA)
- Ability to explore and develop new approaches to further advance innovative characterization and screening technologies
- Extensive knowledge in related functional areas, such as protein structure, antibody engineering, protein chemistry and analytics
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Team player with the ability to operate in a fast-paced multi-disciplinary environment
- Adapt to rapid changes in project priorities and timelines
- Recognized in the scientific community through a sustained record of peer-reviewed publications and patents preferred
- Candidate must be a goal-oriented team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong can-do attitude and experience in leading or managing teams
- Demonstrate the ability to lead diverse teams capable of resolving key project hurdles, establishing clear timelines and deliverables, and by effectively leveraging available information and technical expertise
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable high performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced