We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Scientist I to join our Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT) group in S&T Biologics at AbbVie Bioresearch Center based in Worcester, MA. As part of the S&T Biologics organization, our group leads the process technology transfer, optimization, validation, implementation, and continuous improvement for late-stage and commercial manufacturing of therapeutic proteins for AbbVie. We also provide technical support for manufacturing, GMP compliance, and regulatory filing.
The candidate should have comprehensive knowledge in protein purification, process characterization, and process validation, including antibody-drug conjugate (ADC) technology. The candidate is expected to devise and implement protein purification strategies to solve complex challenges across the AbbVie pipeline, including ADC. The candidate is expected to manage direct reports and productively lead several projects simultaneously in a dynamic and rapidly evolving project landscape.
- Lead team on the design, execution, and data-analysis for process development, characterization, optimization and validation, including ADC
- Identify, evaluate, and develop innovative technologies within the field of downstream processing to improve product quality, and process efficiency and robustness, including ADC
- Lead team on technology and process transfer to pilot scale and GMP plants of therapeutic proteins, including ADC
- Solve technical issues and support GMP manufacturing of therapeutic proteins, including ADC
- Participate in cross-functional teams and author/review/defend CMC sections of regulatory filings
- Author technical reports and validation documents
- Interact with cross-functional groups (e.g. discovery, process development, analytical development, manufacturing, quality, and regulatory)
- Author peer-reviewed articles and patents and present original work in conferences
- Bachelor with 10+ years of industry related experience, or MS with 8+ years of industry related experience, or PhD with 0+ years of industry related experience. Education background in chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, biochemistry, biochemical engineering, or biotechnology.
- Outstanding record of accomplishment in areas of purification process development, improvement, and validation.
- Experience in managing technical professionals is preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to contribute in a multi-disciplinary environment are essential.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within function and maintains strong working relationships with internal, global, and external collaborators.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and capability to overcome complexed issues.
- Demonstrated success in coordinating and executing important projects to achieve business goals.
- Must have a “results-oriented” work ethic and a positive “can-do” attitude with a strong sense of urgency and self-motivated desire to achieve.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced