AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Senior Scientist I - MSAT - Downstream
We are seeking a highly motivated senior scientist to join our Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT) group as part of Operations Science & Technology – Biologics organization at AbbVie Bioresearch Center based in Worcester, MA. As part of the S&T Biologics organization, our group leads the process technology transfer, optimization, validation, implementation, and continuous improvement for late-stage and commercial manufacturing of therapeutic proteins and antibody drug conjugates (ADCs) for AbbVie. We also provide technical support for GMP manufacturing, compliance, and regulatory filing.
The candidate should have comprehensive knowledge in protein purification, process characterization, and process validation, including ADC technology. The candidate is expected to devise and implement protein purification strategies to solve complex challenges across the AbbVie drug substance pipeline. The candidate is expected to manage direct reports and lead multiple projects simultaneously in a dynamic and rapidly evolving project landscape.
- Lead team on the design, execution, and data-analysis for process development, characterization, optimization and validation
- Identify, evaluate, and develop innovative technologies for downstream processing to improve product quality, process efficiency and robustness
- Lead team on technology and process transfer of therapeutic proteins and/or ADC to pilot scale and GMP plants
- Solve technical issues and support GMP manufacturing
- Interact with cross-functional groups (e.g. discovery, process development, analytical development, manufacturing, quality, and regulatory) to enable successful technology/process transfer, author/review/defend CMC sections of regulatory filings and respond to regulatory inspections
- Author technical reports and validation documents
- Author peer-reviewed articles and patents and present original work in conferences
- Bachelor with 10+ years of industry related experience, or MS with 8+ years of industry related experience, or PhD with 0+ years of industry related experience. Education background in chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, biochemistry, biochemical engineering, or biotechnology is preferred.
- Outstanding record of accomplishment in areas of purification process development, improvement, and validation.
- Experience in managing technical professionals is preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to contribute in a multi-disciplinary environment are essential.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within function and maintains strong working relationships with internal, global, and external collaborators.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and capability to overcome complexed issues.
- Demonstrated success in coordinating and executing important projects to achieve business goals.
- Must have a “results-oriented” work ethic and a positive “can-do” attitude with a strong sense of urgency and self-motivated desire to achieve.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs recently.
Phishing scam alert
As an online job seeker, you could be a target of cyber (online) thieves seeking to secure personal information from you by sending you “phishing” messages. Please be alert to and protect yourself from phishing scams. Find out how you can avoid being a victim of job phishing scams.
For Internal Candidates only - Notice of Filing of Labor Condition Application
Equal Employment Opportunity | Reasonable Accommodation