AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Senior Scientist I, Flow Core Operations Manager
The Immunology R&D organization at AbbVie Bioresearch Center (ABC) in Worcester, MA is seeking a highly motivated and experienced flow cytometry expert to manage operation and set strategy of a Flow Cytometry Core facility. The ABC Flow Core serves multiple departments working at the ABC site and provides researchers access to multiple flow cytometers for experimental use, supervised sorting services, and services in data analysis, instrument training, and cytometry education. The candidate will be responsible for independently overseeing daily operations of Flow Cytometry Services including development of Core strategy & operations management, attendance at relevant scientific meetings, development of scientific initiatives to expand core capabilities, and developing and maintaining positive customer interactions with the flow core. The successful candidate will serve as a key partner to multiple project teams across AbbVie’s drug discovery platform and contribute to pipeline data packages as targets progress to clinical candidates.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Independently developing the overall strategy for current and future Flow Core operations.
- Providing support across departments to advance therapies into the clinic, with opportunities to participate in multiple pipeline projects across discovery research areas
- Identifying opportunities to improve data packages and piloting projects, based on customer needs, to expand the scientific breadth of Flow Core usage and capabilities
- Management of Flow Core operations and supervision of Flow Core staff in a cross-departmental setting.
- Collaborating with Flow Core customers of varying experience levels to design effective and reproducible flow cytometry experiments
- Developing, running, and managing educational training programs for Flow Core customers
- Improving Flow Core community awareness, customer support, and customer education through regular communications.
- Attending relevant scientific meetings to maintain technical and scientific currency in flow cytometry applications and to identify new technologies for introduction and implementation at AbbVie
- Degree & experience: Biology, Immunology, or related field
- PhD with 0-5 years of pharmaceutical or academic experience
- Master’s with 5 years of pharmaceutical or 10 years of academic experience
- Bachelor’s with 10-15 years of pharmaceutical experience
- Proficient knowledge in flow cytometry and at least 3 years’ experience applying flow cytometry techniques in research, preferably in an industry setting or with a strong focus on translational assays.
- Experience in operation of multiple flow cytometry platforms (e.g.: BD Fortessa, Cytek Aurora, etc.) and specialized analysis software (e.g.: FlowJo, DiVa, OMIQ)
- Demonstrated experience training and supervising associates, preferably in an industry setting.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the immediate team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence”, makes fact-based decisions, and can change course quickly as needed
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experiments to drive the science in the field of interest
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation, and manages innovation to reality
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs recently.
Phishing scam alert
As an online job seeker, you could be a target of cyber (online) thieves seeking to secure personal information from you by sending you “phishing” messages. Please be alert to and protect yourself from phishing scams. Find out how you can avoid being a victim of job phishing scams.
For Internal Candidates only - Notice of Filing of Labor Condition Application
Equal Employment Opportunity | Reasonable Accommodation