Our Cell and Protein Sciences (CPS) Group, located at the AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA, is seeking a motivated scientist to join its Gene, Cell, and Protein Engineering (GCPE) team.
Our department designs and generates a diverse array of purified protein reagents and engineered cell lines to enable discovery campaigns across the organization. Because our department plays a central role within the vast and interconnected ecosystem at AbbVie, team members have the unique opportunity to collaborate with many therapeutic areas (immunology, oncology, neurology, virology) at one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world.
The ideal candidate will have strong molecular biology skills and experience in plasmid design and cell line engineering. The candidate will work in a fast-paced environment to investigate, develop, and optimize methods and technologies through hands-on laboratory work and literature review.
- Work with a multi-disciplinary project team and use cellular and molecular biology tools to engineer proteins for in vitro and in vivo applications
- Extract information from protein and DNA/RNA sequences through sequence database searches, perform statistical analysis and multiple sequence alignment
- Collaborate with colleagues in bioinformatics to build Non-Rodent and NHP databases.
- Perform hands-on bench work cloning plasmids for protein expression in various expression hosts, primarily E. coli and mammalian HEK/CHO cells
- Complete small-scale purifications of recombinant proteins for expression screening purposes
- MS in Molecular/Cell biology/Biochemistry/Biophysics or related field, with 2-5+ years industry experience, or a BS with 5-7 years of industry experience
- Strong background in molecular biology, including construct design and protein expression in different hosts
- Proficiency with using biological databases and online resources/tools to analyze protein, DNA, and RNA sequences
- Experience with diverse protein purification approaches for recombinant proteins is a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Team-focused, goal-oriented mindset
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced