AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Project Director, Discovery Immunology
The Project Director, Discovery Immunology is responsible for the successful advancement of Immunology portfolio research projects from Lead Optimization through Candidate Selection. This individual has multi-disciplinary scientific expertise, leads all aspects of science and strategy for multiple projects through a matrixed organization, and is an effective communicator to all levels of the organization. Responsibilities include building highly effective research teams that deliver on aggressive portfolio goals by defining clear objectives for each project, working with team members to design and execute the right experiments in the most efficient manner, critically analyzing extensive and complex data to make strategic decisions, and clearly communicating program status and updates.
This position will be based in Worcester, Massachusetts with the option to work hybrid.
- Primary responsibility is to advance multiple research projects from Lead Optimization through Candidate Selection stages through effective leadership of matrixed, multi-disciplinary teams with membership from discovery, precision medicine, preclinical safety and safety pharmacology, DMPK-BA, CMC, clinical development, and others. Programs may include small molecule, protein degrader / PROTAC, biologic, antibody-drug conjugate, or other modality.
- Define clear objectives and vision for each project and set short- and long-term project strategy.
- Ensure scientific excellence across programs. Work with core team members across functions to design and execute appropriate experiments to efficiently advance projects to key decisions. Keep teams on track to accomplish project goals.
- Acquire appropriate resources, as needed, to carry out key experiments.
- Critically analyze data and lead teams to solve issues and make best strategic decisions. Identify and utilize appropriate internal and external experts and resources to advise and advance the project.
- Inspire and motivate team members across the organization.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in Discovery, Development Sciences, and Development.
- Prepare all necessary documents and presentations that demonstrate progress of projects and support Discovery and Development activities. Clearly present project(s) to a variety of audiences including functional heads and other senior leaders.
- Position project(s) for seamless transition from Discovery to Clinical. Serve as Discovery representative on assets advancing through first-in-human studies.
- Mentor project leaders and target champions for programs in the Lead Generation stage.
- PhD or MS/BS with equivalent experience and 12+ years industry experience
- Demonstrated multi-disciplinary scientific expertise and critical knowledge of all relevant disciplines to facilitate timely execution of project components, including a minimum of 8+ years experience as a late-stage core team member and/or co-project lead across multiple projects. Broad scientific experience across multiple projects spanning the range of Discovery to Development, including biologics projects, are required.
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills.
- Highly organized and self-directed, capable of leading multiple complex research programs in parallel.
- Extensive leadership experience and proven ability to inspire and motivate team members even with no direct reporting relationship.
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs recently.
Phishing scam alert
As an online job seeker, you could be a target of cyber (online) thieves seeking to secure personal information from you by sending you “phishing” messages. Please be alert to and protect yourself from phishing scams. Find out how you can avoid being a victim of job phishing scams.
For Internal Candidates only - Notice of Filing of Labor Condition Application
Equal Employment Opportunity | Reasonable Accommodation