Principal Scientist, DMPK-BA, LBA and Biomarkers
AbbVie Bioresearch Center, Worcester, MA
The DMPK-BA Department at AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA, supports discovery biologics teams globally with non-GLP PK and ADA assays as well as local immunology teams with biomarker assays. The team is looking for an experienced bioanalytical scientist to lead the local center of excellence of non-regulated immune assay team. Grade level is flexible based on prior experience.
The candidate will lead a team of dedicated scientists responsible for developing PK, ADA and biomarker methods as well as executing sample analysis for a variety of studies to support Abbvie’s rich biologics pipeline that includes traditional antibodies, bispecifics, ADCs and emerging novel modalities. The team utilizes high levels of automation and electronic data capture.
Responsibilities will include developing new assays to measure exposure from various biological matrixes e.g. serum, tumor and brain as well as evaluating and recommending new bioanalytical platforms to support PK and biomarker efforts for biologics project advancement from discovery to clinical development.
The successful candidate will represent ABC on global DMPK analytical, automation and IT teams and on translational project teams to provide guidance on bioanalytical issues, ensure alignment and manage timelines.
He or she will support biomarker assay development and sample execution efforts for Immunology projects and serve as a key biomarker resource for DMPK project representatives.
The ideal candidate will meet the following criteria:
- PhD in the bioanalytical field with 6 years, MS with 12, or BS with 14 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry preferably in supervisory role
- Excellent understanding of immune assays: ELISA, MSD, biomarkers, bioanalytical sciences and related disciplines
- Excellent oral & written communication skills
- Experience in supporting drug discovery and development projects, including the ability to:
- work as part of a multidisciplinary team, guide discussions, ensure productive outcomes
- proactively identify issues and propose solutions, negotiate with stakeholders
- identify critical analytical bottlenecks and advise team on alternative solutions: automation, platform conversion, multiplexing etc
- develop Biomarker, PK and ADA assays on multiple platforms
- identify and troubleshoot issues with existing protocols
- understand and implement automation and high throughput methodologies
- train and advise junior scientists on sample analysis and method development
- establish and maintain robust operations for sample analysis for projects globally
- implement electronic tools to facilitate workflow
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership & organizational skills to negotiate priorities with project teams and help foster a collaborative environment with colleagues across sites and across disciplines.
- Experience in managing timelines, providing input on task prioritization and resource utilization
- Leadership experience in managing bioanalytical operations is an advantage
- Direct experience with antibody-drug conjugates and bispecifics is a plus
- Protein biochemistry background with protein characterization is an advantage
- Familiarity with orthogonal analytical methods e.g. LC/MS is highly preferred
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Type: Experienced