We are seeking a highly motivated Associate Scientist/Engineer to join MSAT in the Operations S&T Biologics organization at AbbVie Bioresearch Center based in Worcester, MA. As part of the Operations S&T Biologics organization, our group leads the process technology transfer, optimization, validation, implementation, and continuous improvement for late-stage and commercial manufacturing of therapeutic proteins for AbbVie. We also provide technical support for manufacturing, GMP compliance, and regulatory filing. The candidate will work in a dynamic team environment to validate, implement process improvements, support and trouble shoot late clinical stage and commercial biologics manufacturing processes.
A comprehensive understanding of protein chemistry and process scale-up is essential. Hands-on experience in the data trending and data analysis are required. Hands-on experience working in lab on process development is required. Good writing skills for technical reports are required. The position necessitates extensive interaction with manufacturing, quality, engineering, purification and analytical development. The candidate should be independently motivated and possess strong written, oral, and collaborative skills in order to effectively communicate scientific information to team members.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Supporting the evaluation and development of innovative technologies within the field of downstream processing to improve process efficiency, robustness and product quality
- Supporting the scaling up of successful lab studies to pilot scale and subsequently to manufacturing scale qualification, validation and implementation.
- Providing technical support to late clinical stage and commercial biologics manufacturing processes
- Applying GMP and GLP principles to all aspects of work and documentation
- Authoring technical reports and validation documents
- Presenting scientific and technical work in internal and external conferences
- BS or MS in Chemical or Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry, or related field with 3+ years (BS) or 0+ years (MS) of relevant pharmaceutical industry experience
- Ability to run purification scale down models in the laboratory
- Demonstrated strong data interpretation and problem-solving skills, and capability to overcome complex issues
- Familiar with data analysis and data trending tools, e.g., advanced Excel, JMP, Discoverant, PI, etc.
- Experience with AKTA, Pellicon filtration system preferred
- Familiarity with protein purification including chromatographic separations and membrane separation
- Must have a “results-oriented” work ethic and a positive “can-do” attitude with a strong sense of urgency and self-motivated desire to achieve
- Ability to work well both independently and in teams
- Strong technical written, oral communication, and database skills are plus
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced