The Sr. Director, Clinical Development Operations Neurology , oversees a global organization of clinical research professionals accountable for the strategic and operational design, planning, and delivery of Neurology assets globally for AbbVie. Individual in this position is accountable for the on-time and on- budget operational delivery of Neurology clinical trials across a number of programs. In this role, Sr. Director Clinical Development Operations will play a critical role in organizational and program leadership representing neurology development operations across the broader Abbvie organization.
- Provides expertise, strategic leadership, and direction to the Neurology Clinical Development organization; a global organization responsible for planning and implementation of interventional clinical studies globally.
- Establishes an appropriate framework and oversight including input into strategy, prioritization, resourcing, reviews, and decision making to maximize the probability of achieving the on time and on budget delivery of neurology clinical programs
- Is accountable to inform and execute the Neurology TA strategy. Active participation in other Neurology specific leadership or governance forums as required.
- Anticipates departmental needs, proactively collaborates with other functions, and influences appropriately to ensure the successful delivery of the portfolio in alignment with the broader Therapeutic Area portfolio strategy.
- Successfully establishes strong relationships, working in partnership with key stakeholders across Development, R&D, and AbbVie. Seeks alignment within the organization to deliver outputs and achieve the overall strategy.
- Seeks to continually raise the bar for the operationalization of AbbVie neurology study teams, driving both timeline and resource efficiency, partnering cross-functionally for shared learning across the portfolio.
- Will seamlessly manage multiple and competing resource and product streams with a focus on financial health and delivering projects on or under budget. Able to reallocate resources with ease in the face of changing priorities while remaining focused on innovation and streamlining processes.
- Brings a “can-do” attitude while being able to respectfully challenge partners and be assertive when necessary, around project timelines, finances, and scope; stretches Development Operations to deliver more, while also serving as a gatekeeper for new initiatives and studies when it comes to feasibility, regulatory issues, and prioritization within overall budget and resource constraints.
- Directly leads, coaches, and mentors the Neurology Clinical Operations Program Leads and their teams. Ensures the recruitment and development of the right talent and Neurology therapeutic area expertise to enable the appropriate level of strategic input into clinical program design and clinical study design. Responsible for the growth and development of talent within the Development Operations global organization; for building upon our One Dev Ops and One AbbVie culture; for building a safe and inclusive environment; for building a diverse, high-performing organization.
- Develops and implements strategic vendor and partner selection. Is accountable for resolving vendor issues that need to be addressed at the executive level.
- Thrives in ambiguity and able to look at processes from an overarching viewpoint to see what can be optimized; prepared to drive that optimization. Drives continual improvement across Development Operations practices, processes, and performance to achieve World Class Clinical Execution while driving transformational change to take and keep AbbVie ahead of the competition.
- A minimum of 12 years of bio-pharmaceutical industry experience in a global pharma organization delivering medicines/therapies to a broad market across various therapeutic areas.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a scientific discipline or previous experience working directly in a clinical research setting.
- Broad knowledge and track record of successfully managing clinical trial operations through all stages of the drug development lifecycle. Knows what can go wrong and how to proactively prepare for all possible outcomes.
- Direct experience in neurology clinical research across early and late-stage programs
- Demonstrated high level of competency in the AbbVie leadership behaviors.
- Big picture and strategic thinker – can formulate a vision of future state and lead the organization to build tactical plans to achieve this. Experience implementing large-scale change and process improvements relating to medical operations and/or clinical trials.
- Excellent collaborator – easily builds relationships and gains cross functional alignment. Experience with cross-functional leadership and a proven ability to influence and get things done within the intricacies of a highly matrixed organization.
- Excellent business and financial aptitude, very analytical and uses data to drive the business and continuous improvements.
- Experience leading scaled global teams; managing and developing talent; leader of leaders who can engage, inspire and align large, diverse teams of seasoned professionals.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced