AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV) is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott Laboratories. The company's mission is to use its expertise, dedicated people and unique approach to innovation to develop and market advanced therapies that address some of the world's most complex and serious diseases. AbbVie employs approximately 30,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries.
General Position Summary/Purpose:
AbbVie is currently offering a unique opportunity for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Sr Scientist I in the Precision Medicine Pathology Group. Precision Medicine Pathology supports projects from discovery through CDx assay development. We are seeking a highly motivated individual to work within the Precision Medicine Pathology Group to guide the design and implementation of tissue-based assays to support the development and commercialization of medically-differentiated therapies in oncology. This position will also provide expert scientific advice related to next generation tissue-based assay development in the areas of multiplexing, image analysis, and spatial profiling and act as a key resource for implementation of these novel technologies both internally and through external collaborations. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in a highly collaborative environment and will participate as a member of multidisciplinary, cross-functional development project teams.
- Designs, validates, and implements novel tissue-based diagnostic assays for individual projects and/or therapeutic areas with a key responsibility to ensure delivery of highly specific and robust assays to meet project timelines
- Supports the general pathology needs of project teams through the effective design and execution of hypothesis-driven studies utilizing tissue based assays
- Acts as a subject matter expert and key resource for the evaluation and implementation of next generation tissue-based assay technologies, including multiplexing and image analysis.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Cancer Biology, Cell Biology or a related field and a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in a pharmaceutical, diagnostic or biotech environment or Master’s Degree with 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Strong, hands-on experience with development of immunohistochemistry (IHC) and other tissue-based assays including immunofluorescence (IF) multiplexing and in situ hybridization (ISH)
- Close familiarity with the principles of tissue microscopic anatomy/histology including knowledge of pathological alterations in disease and experience working in collaboration with trained pathologists is preferred
- Familiarity with bioinformatics tools for sequence analysis/alignment, and high content data analysis a plus.
- Experience with the discovery, characterization, validation and utilization of biomarkers and diagnostic assays.
- Excellent verbal communication skills are required including the demonstrated ability to effectively and clearly summarize results for presentation and report generation
- Must be able to multi-task and work effectively within a team environment
Strong motivation, attention to detail, ability to think independently and fully integrate into a high achieving team environment
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Type: Experienced