This role oversees the entire Precision Medicine Pathology organization and all scientists/pathologists within it. The senior director provides technical/scientific leadership to histotechnicians, pathologists, and other doctoral level scientists. The Precision Medicine Pathology team drives the scientific strategy for translational tissue-based biomarker development & discovery target validation/MOA projects, leads pathology collaborative programs, and conducts histopathological evaluation & analysis of IHC & other tissue-based studies. The team also assesses the safety of clinical assets and devices by evaluating their effects on the body fluids and tissues, and serves as a science resource in clinical and anatomic pathology in Precision Medicine and other AbbVie departments.
- Provide strategic leadership and direction of Precision Medicine Pathology strategy for all Precision Medicine and oversees execution of significant projects.
- Ensure superalative collaboration with the PMed CDx Strategy team and oversee the technical aspects of tissue-based companion diagnostic development.
- Determine Precision Medicine Pathology priorities and establishes departmental goals in alignment with Precision Medicine Leadership Team and Broader R&D leadership goals.
- Analyze the impact of Precision Medicine Pathology decisions on projects and programs across multiple complex projects. Influence and strategically manage relationships across business and understand the impact of business decisions and solutions.
- Serve as an integral member of drug discovery and development teams & interface with internal and external biology, biomarker, genomics, in vivo and toxicology groups to deliver novel therapeutic clinical candidates.
- Develop capabilities of leaders on the PMed Pathology team and holds them accountable for ensuring extended team is being developed.
- Hold PMed Pathology leadership team accountable for effective performance of the team. Be a model of behaviors for a high performing team.
- Experienced pathologist (MD, DVM, DO) with 15+ years of relevant post-doctoral academic, clinical and/or industry pathology experience -required
- Board certification in pathology (anatomic, clinical, combined, with or without additional specialization) -strongly preferred, but not required
- PhD in relevant field of science -preferred, but not required
- Proven ability to lead teams and oversee technical/scientific studies
- Recognized externally as a scientific expert in the field of pathology or relevant field -required
- Knowledge of the drug development process and how pathology fits within this process -required
- Relevant experience in developing companion diagnostics and/or supporting drug development in the fields of immuno-oncology and antibody-drug conjugates is highly desirable
- Proven leadership ability to lead large teams & to oversee multiple technical/scientific studies is a must
- Strong presentation skills required, with the ability to present data successfully to scientists & technicians with diverse scientific backgrounds & to negotiate scientific strategy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to work in a team-oriented environment consisting of diverse scientists, technicians, managers, clinicians, and others
- Builds strong relationships with peers and partners outside of team cross functionally; requires strong emotional intelligence skills.
- Flexible – able to learn new things and change directions quickly when indicated
- Courageous- speaks up and questions status quo to improve projects or processes if needed.
- Open minded & innovative, able to discuss position rationally & open to outside suggestions. Tests new innovations and manages to reality.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to work within a dynamic team environment.
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced