Since 2013, AbbVie has expanded its commitment to the San Francisco Bay Area with the consolidation of three Bay Area facilities to a new Bay Area headquarters in South San Francisco. AbbVie employees in the Bay Area drive AbbVie’s research-based, innovation driven missions in healthcare. Specifically, Bay Area employees bring deep scientific expertise and commercial excellence to advance cancer care. Current oncology areas of focus include immuno-oncology, tumor targeting, tumor dependency and precision medicine. With facilities positioned in the heart of the biotechnology industry, we are able to collaborate with the best and brightest minds in oncology.
AbbVie is seeking a highly motivated and experienced scientist to be responsible for day-to-day activities of the Flow Cytometry Core Lab at AbbVie’s new research facility in the Bay Area. This position requires advanced technical expertise and the ability to provide highly complex multi-parameter flow cytometry and multi-dimensional sorting support to Discovery, Translational, and Clinical research in Oncology. The successful candidate must possess extensive and exceptional organizational, technical and scientific skills in advanced flow cytometry and related technologies. This individual will work closely with multiple principal investigators, pathologists, and clinical research scientists to ensure accurate, relevant, and reproducible data.
- Provide advanced technical skills in the application of flow cytometry/cell sorting technologies to solve research problems and in the development of new technologies to advance Discovery, Translational, and Clinical research in Oncology.
- Independently and consistently execute highly complex sorting, as well as design, optimization, and execution of high-parameter flow cytometry experiments.
- Be responsible for day-to-day instrument operation. Implement and develop operation procedures, routine QC, maintenance, and troubleshooting of instruments and experiments; maintain a clean and aseptic cell sorting environment.
- Consult and train researchers in operation of flow cytometry analyzers and cell sorters. Aid development of new flow cytometry experimental assays, execution, and data interpretation.
- Maintain and document daily Core activities. Adhere to implemented electronic record keeping, and data management systems. Develop and deliver scientific reports in the form of oral presentation and writing.
- Maintain an advanced level of scientific knowledge and keep up with current developments and trends in the field of flow cytometry.
- Opportunity for collaborative work with other groups across scientific disciplines; maintain close communication with cross-functional teams to plan and execute assays in flow cytometry-related research projects.
- For Scientist I/II level, BS or MS in biology or related field with 5 years (BS), or 2+ years (MS) of pharmaceutical and/or relevant experience
- For Sr. Scientist I level, BS or equivalent education and typically 10 years of experience, MS or equivalent education and typically 8 years of experience, PhD and no experience necessary.
- Extensive hands-on experience operating and troubleshooting flow cytometers, both hardware and software. Minimum of 3 years experience with flow cytometry, Core facility or Shared Resource environment preferred.
- Strong technical skills in performing multiparameter flow cytometry and analyzing the data. Teaching/instructional experience preferred. Cytometry Certification SCYM(ASCP)CMpreferred.
- Technical skills in cell culturing, sample preparation and cell staining. Demonstrated expertise in developing and optimizing cell-based assays preferred.
- Strong organizational capabilities. Maintain detailed and organized experimental records and stay compliant on all relevant internal training requirements.
- Work independently and multitask under fixed timelines. Contribute on various projects outside of his/her own and collaborate with partners from all relevant functions.
- Proactively support the team by being a team player and foster strong cross-team and cross-functional collaborations. Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Should be willing to adapt to learn new science concepts and techniques and apply knowledge to new targets and research fields.
- Ability to safely handle potentially biohazardous materials. Some light lifting on regular basis.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced