Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position is based at AbbVie’s new South San Francisco, CA location.
Principal Research Scientist II, Medicinal Chemistry
South San Francisco, CA
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced medicinal chemist to join our Small-Molecule Oncology Discovery Chemistry Department at Abbvie Bay Area(ABA) in South San Francisco, CA. The successful candidate will be working with the project director and line manager, he/she will be responsible for driving medicinal chemistry of assigned projects and ensuring the delivery of high-quality tools, leads and candidate molecules within competitive time frames. The candidate will participate in planning and implementing the short-term strategy and long-term vision of the supported project team.
- Directly contribute to high quality candidate delivery at the bench level as a synthetic chemist.
- Familiar with modern drug discovery design and modeling tools, able to anticipate challenges and creatively apply knowledge of the latest concepts and technology platforms to solve problems.
- Responsible for developing medicinal chemistry strategies and ensuring efficient execution of tactics to meet project goals.
- Provide scientific oversight and accept accountability of medicinal chemistry activities in assigned projects.
- Manage a medicinal chemistry team of multiple MS/PhD-level scientists within ongoing hit to tool and lead optimization projects, develop the capabilities of the staff through mentoring and by promoting a culture that embraces open scientific debate and agile, accountable decision-making.
- Ensure the team maintains the highest laboratory safety standards.
- Effectively augment SAR by coordinating medicinal and synthetic organic chemistry outsourcing activities and collaborations within assigned projects.
- Quick learner of project biology, DMPK, safety and toxicological data to enable design and interpretation of project study results.
- Demonstrate strategic thinking and have excellent communication skills, effectively communicate to internal and external partner pharmacology groups and senior management through oral presentations and written reports.
- Establish strong, productive relationships with key partners and diverse groups across R&D disciplines through clear, transparent communication of medicinal chemistry strategies and progress.
- Build a strong network and ensure visibility in the medicinal and synthetic organic chemistry field by participation in scientific meetings and by publishing high quality science.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced