Introduction (Program Overview)
The Postdoctoral Program is designed for true investigational and experimental research. Participants will be mentored by renowned industry scientists and collaborators at AbbVie and focused on delivering cutting-edge advancements in Discovery, Development Sciences, and BioPharma. This enriching training program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience which fosters a learning environment to advance individual development and offers accessibility to high-level knowledge-building across the drug development continuum.
To be successful in our goals as an organization, we developed the AbbVie Postdoc Program for outstanding individuals willing to challenge themselves to find the best solutions for our patients.
You will be a technical expert who will investigate, identify, develop, and optimize new methods / techniques to address critical project needs. AbbVie Postdoctoral Fellows continuously seek to improve existing laboratory methods and processes, read and adapt literature to accomplish assignments, and demonstrate mastery of a broad range of experimental techniques and methods of data analysis.
We are seeking scientists from key academic institutions within preferred areas of science in the U.S. to provide a unique opportunity for participants to build a solid career foundation in the pharmaceutical industry while building the AbbVie brand as an employer of choice for scientific talent. This assignment is expected to last 2-4 years, though exceptions may be made for certain postdoctoral assignments.
This is an exceptional postdoctoral opportunity within a cross-functional group at AbbVie. The position is focused to discover basic biology to better understand anti-tumor immune responses against cancer aimed ultimately to facilitate drug discovery. In this experimental role you, will be engaged in characterizing causative drivers and compensatory suppressors of inflamed tumor-immune microenvironments (TIMEs), with publication(s) as the end-point. As a scientist with a passion to learn, you will be working within a group of experimental and computational scientists to identify and evaluate tumor-intrinsic and T-cell centric mediators of anti-tumor immune response. As an integral member of the team, you will make an impact to AbbVie pipeline and to the immuno-oncology field in general. This role will be located at AbbVie’s new campus at the heart of South San Francisco, CA with access to State-of the-Art scientific capabilities and a great Work/Life balance. This postdoctoral training will be a great first step from academia to industry and can include an optional training opportunity on “biological data science” skills from the experts in the computational group.
- Perform immune-oncology and drug discovery research to understand and manipulate tumor-immune microenvironments via molecular screens and novel/existing assays.
- Develop innovative in vivo/ex vivo/in vitro assays/analyses to interrogate the function of different immune cells and their interaction with tumor cells.
- Collaborate with computational researchers to validate the results from in silico studies
- Generate scientific proposals and maintain a high level of productivity in the lab
- Resolve key project hurdles with available information from literature and internal or external experts
- Contribute to the preparation and submission of technical reports, prepare clear and concise summaries of their data and present to the project team.
- Promote AbbVie scientific reputation through writing reports, making internal presentations, and publishing original discovery in peer-reviewed journals.
- Contribute on various projects outside of his/her own and collaborate with partners from all relevant functions.
- Proactively support the team by being a team player and foster strong cross team and cross functional collaborations
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Immunology, Oncology, or related field
- Knowledge in immunology or oncology research with demonstrated ability to perform and develop in vitro/ex-vivo assays (Immunoblotting, ELISA/MSD, basic flow cytometry skills, immune cell isolation, CRISPRi)
- Familiarity with syngeneic, genetically engineered animal models as well as in vitro tumor models and co-culture experiments is a plus.
- Capable of independently designing and executing experiments, interpreting data, and identifying appropriate follow-up strategies.
- A willingness to learn cutting edge technologies and challenging tasks.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Record of scientific initiative and creativity in research or development activities.
- Excellent project management skills. Ability to multitask and work within timelines.
- Global mindset to thrive in a diverse culture and environment.
- Three letters of recommendation (including one from the Thesis Advisor)
- Letter of intent to pursue Postdoc
- Experience in proteomic or metabolic screens and assays.
- Experience in any of lymphoid, tumor, stromal biology or tumor metabolism or TGF-β biology is a plus.
- Opportunity to develop leadership qualities, to be part of various AbbVie initiatives
- Opportunity to learn data analysis skills
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages to reality
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced