Joining AbbVie means, you will be part of a team of outstanding professionals dedicated to making a remarkable impact on patients' lives. At AbbVie, we conduct ground-breaking science on a global scale every day. AbbVie Canada is one of the Best Workplaces in Canada whereby 92% of our employees are proud to say they work for AbbVie.
When choosing your career path, choose to be remarkable.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health, and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio.
We have an opportunity for a Data Engineer Specialist to join our Business Technology Solutions (BTS) team, responsible for integrating AbbVie's data in a modern, scalable, cloud-based environment (Foundry).
The Data Engineer participates in the acquisition, cataloguing, and harmonization of information aligned with the needs of business stakeholders and supports data consumers in understanding information context, generating fit for purpose datasets, and effectively utilizing advance analytic tools. In this role, you will be working primarily with the data analysts from functional disciplines and the local (BTS) Data and Analytics team (business analyst, business intelligence developer). The selected candidate will collaborate closely with the Winning with Data team for implementing strategic initiatives that drive business value. This position is based in Montreal (Saint-Laurent) and reports to the Lead of Data and Analytics within BTS.
- Design, build, test and maintain data ecosystems to support Analytics capabilities across AbbVie's business functions.
- Demonstrate high proficiency across a wide range of technologies and platforms related to software design and development, programming languages, data integration, data warehousing, data analysis and visualization tools, data storage, network connectivity, and virtualization/cloud environments.
- Running enterprise class information management solutions across a variety of technologies (e.g., big data, data profiling, batch processing, and data indexing technologies).
- Build data pipelines in Palantir Foundry using programming frameworks/languages like SQL, Apache Spark, Python (preparing, mapping, joining and stitching ingested datasets).
- Ingest external vendor data into Palantir Foundry platform using a secure file transfer protocol (SFTP) server.
- Define and enforce data quality management standards by implementing health and content checks.
- Ensure appropriate security and compliance policies are followed for information access and dissemination.
- Define and apply information quality and consistency throughout the data processing lifecycle.
- Collaborate with information providers to ensure quality data updates are processed in a timely fashion.
- Enforce and expand use of AbbVie's Common Data Model and industry standard information descriptions (ontologies, taxonomies, vocabularies, lexicons, dictionaries, thesaurus, glossaries, etc.).
- Build a strong data governance framework by working with global and affiliate stakeholders.
- Create a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embrace the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and transform it into reality.
Education / Experience required
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or in a related field is required.
- Previous experience in a similar role (minimum of seven years). Data processing exposure in roles such as database developer/administrator, extract, transform, and load (ETL) developer, data architect and/or business Intelligence developer. Comprehensive business understanding of the technology strategic role.
- End-to-end role with data, including data modelling, querying, aggregation, analysis, and visualization (minimum of seven years).
- Ability to gather requirements and develop and prepare use cases, functional specifications, mapping documents for data integration and technical requirements for data warehouse/data lake applications.
- Demonstrated history of successful execution in a fast-paced environment and in managing multiple priorities effectively.
Essential skills and abilities
- Must be at ease with technology (use of various tools/systems to perform day-to-day tasks).
- Strong understanding of distributed data processing frameworks like Hadoop/Spark Expertise and knowledge in programming languages like Python, Java, SQL to build data pipelines (minimum of five years).
- Preferred technical skills: Snowflake, Teradata SQL, SQL Assistant, Oracle SQL Developer, IBM SPSS Modeler, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Access, SAS, Relational Databases.
- Experience with Veeva, Reltio, SAP and/or Palantir Foundry is a plus.
- Affinity to either performance optimizing, user experience design, automated testing and/or data science is considered an asset.
- Skilled with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Word, etc.).
- French and Advanced English language proficiency (oral and written).
Key leadership competencies
- Operate and communicate effectively in a matrix environment.
- Facilitate internal information sharing.
- Prepare and deliver effective storyline presentations.
- Demonstrate strategic understanding and focus in verbal and written communication.
- Use strong analytical skills to solve business problems and think independently.
- Quick learner and ability to multitask effectively.
- Actively listen to internal stakeholders to understand their business needs, challenges and views to translate these into appropriate market research goals.
- Work collaboratively with team members.
- Prioritize decisions and activities to ensure efficient use of resources and address critical issues impacting the business.
- Keen attention to detail.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities to apply.
Covid vaccination new hires amendments:
Full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment for this position, with possible accommodation for validated exemptions, within the limits of applicable legislation. AbbVie employees are also required to comply with any COVID-19 related external requirements, including any testing requirements, applicable to their work activities outside AbbVie premises (for example, travelling and visiting stakeholders and customers).
Job Type: Experienced