Sr. Medical Science Liaison (MSL) I
The Senior Medical Science Liaison (MSL), Level I, is a field based scientific expert that strategically supports the scientific and business objectives of a designated therapeutic area across the product life cycle. MSLs are the primary communicators of AbbVie science within a specific geography with healthcare professionals. MSLs are the field scientific experts on given disease states and treatment options within a designated therapeutic area. They combine strong business acumen, clinical expertise, market awareness, and serve as a conduit of information both externally and internally to a cross functional customer base internally within AbbVie. Based on therapeutic needs and product life cycles, teams may focus on certain responsibilities to a greater or lesser degree, including clinical development and pipeline support. This is the advanced level MSL position in which the individual contributor has demonstrated the capabilities and responsibilities of the role within the AbbVie landscape.
Execute High Impact Territory Initiatives
• Develops, executes and maintains high impact territory plans, including HCP and Investigator engagement plans in alignment with therapeutic area medical and scientific objectives with a focus on quality. Uses data and analytics to seek out and maximize opportunities within their territory.
• Identifies, gains access to, and develops professional customer centric based relationships with external experts (EEs) in therapeutic areas within assigned geography.
• Delivers on territory plan objectives, meets assigned project deadlines, and achieves annual functional goals. Generates and documents meaningful data point observations (DPOs).
• Demonstrates and practices core capabilities in Segmentation, DPOs, as well as Optimal Resource Utilization, including financial decisions.
• Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and Procedure, including accurate and timely documentation as it relates to HCP interactions.
Scientific Resource to External HCPs and other Stakeholders
• Provides education relative to disease state, therapeutic landscape and AbbVie products across the product lifecycle to healthcare providers and researchers.
Therapeutic Disease State, Landscape, and Asset Expert
• Continually educates self on market issues/trends, product knowledge, and new therapeutic areas of interest as it pertains to specific business responsibilities, including creating awareness and relationships for AbbVie in the Medical community.
• Supports research initiatives across development at the request of R&D to include, but not limited to, site evaluation and identification, recruitment, investigator meetings, external expert identification, and external collaboration management.
Maintain Cross-functional Field Partnerships
• Creates, maintains, and collaborates in relationships with Cross-Functional partnerships,
including, but not limited to in field teams, engagement with site management and monitoring
and clinical research associates, the Therapeutic Area, and with the Medical Outcome Science
Liaisons. Works with in-field teams, as appropriate, to develop and execute Account plans
designed to support and meet shared business objectives.
• Serves as a scientific resource to commercial partners as appropriate to support activities such
as Medical Congress staffing and training initiatives.
Products supported: risankizumab, upadacitinib & adalimumab
• Bachelor’s degree in the health sciences from an accredited university required. Advanced
medical degree preferred in a relevant scientific discipline. Doctorate strongly preferred in a
health science or clinical discipline. Significant clinical, and/or industry experience in relevant
therapeutic area may be accepted in lieu of education requirements.
• Greater than or equal to 2 years of MSL experience preferred, with previous experience as an
MSL required. 3 years of clinical, scientific/research, or industry related experience or equivalent
• The Senior MSL must possess advanced problem solving and analytic skills to be able to identify,
and translate specific territory and corporate needs, into an action that will achieve objectives.
• Exhibits leadership attributes that align with company-wide initiatives such as: All for One
AbbVie, Clear and Courageous, Make Possibilities Real, Agile and Accountable, and Decide Smart
• Possesses strong foundational skills in Scientific Storytelling, Identifying Mobilizers, Medical
Challenger, and Active Listening.
• An essential requirement of the position is to meet health care industry representative (HCIR)
credentialing requirements to gain entry into facilities and organizations that in your assigned
territory. These HCIR credentialing requirements may include, but are not limited to,
background checks, drug screens, and proof of immunization/vaccination for various diseases.
• Must be willing to travel up 75% of your time.
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)Driving a personal auto or company car or truck, or a powered piece of material handling equipment
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced