Joining AbbVie means you will be part of a team of outstanding professionals dedicated to making a remarkable impact on patients lives. At AbbVie, we conduct ground-breaking science on a global scale every day. AbbVie Canada is one of the Best Workplaces in Canada whereby 98% of our employees are proud to say they work for AbbVie and 96% are proud of how we contribute to the community.
When choosing your career path, choose to be remarkable.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health, and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio.
We have a new opportunity for a Medical Science Liaison Manager, Neuroscience to join our Medical Affairs team. In this exciting career opportunity, you will establish strategy and direction for a team of "peer expert" Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) for the assigned products and relevant therapeutic areas, representing AbbVie Medical at the national level with healthcare professionals (HCPs). This position is field based in Montreal (Quebec) or Toronto (Ontario) and will cover all of Canada.
- Establish vision, strategy, and goals for an MSL team that are aligned with medical, clinical gaps and brand team strategies in a designated therapeutic area.
- Optimize utilization of resources to lead, develop and coach an MSL team, including overseeing the performance management process, professional development and succession team plans.
- Maintain regulatory and compliance best practises. Allocate MSL resources in a way that delivers results on clinical/ brand team strategies, while protecting AbbVie from risk.
- Keep all interactions and materials "audit ready" and conducts regular management checks of the team’s activities.
- Proactively develop, in collaboration with the medical and brand teams, and execute a plan for field-based scientific support for therapeutic area on marketed products as well as portfolio pipeline process. Ensure field scientific support across the lifecycle of a product and ongoing analysis of clinical trends to develop key supporting strategies to meet business objectives.
- Responsible for gathering and sharing competitive intelligence (insights) that can provide critical information that could impact our development programs, as well as our marketed products.
- Align external expert relationships and communication with the needs of the TA, clinical development and commercial teams on an ongoing basis.
- Accountable for all MSL activities within acceptable practice guidelines, and delivery of results in a designated therapeutic area.
- Interface with other MSL Managers across all Affiliates, to ensure standardization and consistency.
- Look for opportunities to align MSL clinical resources nationally, while minimizing costs and increasing efficiencies. Responsible for an operating budget.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams on the execution of an established in-field team stakeholder engagement plan.
- Maintain an up-to-date scientific knowledge of assigned therapeutic area(s), product(s) uses and key external data.
- Doctorate or MD is preferred. MSc degree in scientific related discipline and demonstrated experience will also be considered.
- Relevant business experience with solid knowledge of the biotech/pharmaceutical industry.
- General knowledge on drug development and clinical research or a relevant therapeutic area (minimum five years)
- MSL experience (minimum two years)
- Proven track record in leadership, management and coaching of cross-functional teams or individuals (minimum of 2-3 years)
- Ability to build strong relationships with external experts and other relevant stakeholders
- Ability to think and plan strategically (work plans, activities, timetables, targeting) and operating with execution excellence.
- Strong commitment to compliance, scientific quality and integrity.
- Demonstrated organizational and analytical skills to set priorities, develop a field work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track data, information and activities. Effectively manage budgets to deliver on fiscal commitments.
Essential skills & abilities:
- Advanced French (for Quebec-based roles) and English language proficiency (oral and written).
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Word, etc.)
- Must be at ease with technology (the use of various tools/systems to perform day-to-day tasks).
- Travel required about 30 to 40% of the time.
- Valid driver’s license and passport.
Key in-field team (IFT) competencies:
- In-depth understanding and execution of meaningful strategies and data-based business decisions to exceed IFT business goals.
- Display sound business judgment (having an executive leadership mindset to assess local market and set direction). Ability to predict contingent outcomes from both a customer and competitive perspective.
- Possess knowledge of AbbVie’s therapeutic areas and products to coach team members, who engage in scientific interactions with key stakeholders, external experts, and medical associations.
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with other IFT members/managers to ensure alignment on plans. Clearly understands IFT ways of working and ensure optimal and compliant interactions. Manages conflict in coordination with other IFT members/managers.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities to apply.
Covid vaccination new hires amendments:
Full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment for this position, with possible accommodation for validated exemptions, within the limits of applicable legislation. AbbVie employees are also required to comply with any COVID-19 related external requirements, including any testing requirements, applicable to their work activities outside AbbVie premises (for example, travelling and visiting stakeholders and customers).
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. If you would like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email CorpJat_ABV@abbvie.com.