This position will primarily be responsible for electronics design and support tasks for Abbvie’s product line from concept to commercial launch.
The Staff Electrical Engineer is a member of Electrical Engineering group and closely interacts with a multi-disciplined Engineering team consisting of Electrical, Software and Mechanical groups.
The engineer has a broad background in various skill sets.
- Temperature monitoring and control.
- Thermistor, thermocouple, flux sensor, RTD, etc.
- Experience with TEC’s and related control requirements.
- Low voltage power control.
- DC-DC, current control, voltage control, hot plug, thermal and efficiency considerations, etc.
- Experience with mains AC voltage and current along with the care and feeding of them.
- Strong understanding of the analog component building blocks.
- ADC, DAC, OP-AMP, FET, transistor, resistor, capacitor, inductor, etc.
- Ability to review and understand an existing design from its schematic alone.
- Design of mixed signal analog and digital electronics.
- Strong digital design background. Capable of designing, reviewing and understanding digital designs.
- Strong knowledge of the basic communication standards. RS-xxx, USB, SPI, Microwire, I2C, etc.
- Strong knowledge of microcontrollers and other intelligent, firmware based components.
- Design to meet the IEC electrical standards for Medical Devices.
- Follow and support the design cycle through compliance testing in conjunction with our notified body.
- Ability to troubleshoot EMC issues and implement design fixes.
- Create requirements and test protocol documents for new product development.
- DFT, Design for Testability. Work with CM to implement ICT fixtures for production builds.
- DFM, Design for Manufacturability. Work with CM to ensure manufacturability of the design. Incorporate CM feedback into the design.
- Experience with high speed design implementation. USB2,3, SATA, PCIE.
- Design with reliability in mind.
- Cost conscious design practice.
- Working knowledge of basic and advanced communication standard layout practices. Work interactively with PCB design engineer from schematic through final design release.
- Design of electronics sub-assemblies focused on achieving targeted performance with close attention to cost, reliability and manufacturability targets.
- Capable of taking basic requirements documents and implementing a design to meet the requirements.
- Ability to understand legacy designs. Support both the manufacturing engineering and service organizations when production or customer issues arise.
- Provide technical support to engineering team throughout product development and implementation process.
- Engage in all phases of new product introduction: concept, architecture, documentation, design, prototype, test, supplier interfaces, manufacturing introduction and service support.
- Support installed base including Customer Satisfaction opportunities. Investigate complaints, assist field service with systemic issues, reliability investigation, root cause analysis.
- Model, design, build, test, and modify product prototypes using working models or theoretical models.
- Capture electrical schematic design using Altium Designer.
- Guide PCB layout engineer during entire design process.
- Create written specifications, reports and summaries for development projects and tasks.
- Prepare technical design reviews, risk assessments, FMEA etc.
- Keep accurate records of testing, design review input, engineering revisions, prototyping markups etc. Changes must be carefully captured during all phases of the design process.
- Minimum BSEE degree preferred.
- 8-10 years of experience required.
- Ability to define problems, gather data, establish facts, to draw valid conclusions and recommendations. Six Sigma exposure desirable but not required.
- Self-motivated and technically creative to optimize design trade-offs in the development of state-of-the-art designs.
- Understanding of EMC regulatory requirements and design strategies to deliver compliant designs.
- Understanding of Electrical Safety Design requirements IEC60601-1, design implementation and testing methods, preferred but not required
- Capability to work in both a collaborative group or as an individual contributor.
- Capability to work and adjust within a dynamic environment. Needs and requirements may arise with little notice.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Ability to multi-task, and capable of executing multiple assignments on time.
- Competent in using array of test equipment including Logic Analyzers, Oscilloscopes, DVMs, etc.
- Competent using MS Office including Word and Excel.
- Ability to travel, up to 10%, Overnight or international travel may be required. p
- Responsible for performing all duties in compliance with FDA’s Quality System Regulation (QSR), ISO13485, the Canadian Medical Device Regulations, and all other international regulatory requirements with which Abbvie complies.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced