Under the direction of a department manager, provides oversight for day-to-day operations of animal health technical staff. As a working supervisor, the incumbent will also provide routine animal health care including daily treatments, observations, preventative medicine, surgical and anesthesia support and various technical procedures required for study conduct to ensure sound health and welfare in support of the AbbVie animal research program
- Oversees day-to-day animal health coordination including but not limited to providing work direction to animal health technicians.
- Leads and supervises approximately 6-10 animal health technicians in day-to-day functions.
- Upholds regulatory and institutional policies, and assures proper documentation while providing daily animal care in support of AbbVie’s animal research program.
- Performs job functions with working knowledge of regulatory compliance and animal care and use guidelines including: Food and Drug Administration, Associate for the Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care, International (AAALAC), Guide for the Care and use of Laboratory Animals, APHIS Animal Welfare Act Regulations.
- Schedules coverage and support of cross training initiatives and research project(s) needs.
- Manages inventory (i.e. medications, medical supplies, equipment maintenance, etc.).
- Advises Manager of staff opportunities (I.e. mentorship, minor conflict resolution).
- Acts as Manager during weekend coverage covering four research facilities and 8-10 staff.
- Provision of animal health care in a diverse laboratory animal setting
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in animal health (veterinary) technology or the equivalent number of years’ experience
- The ideal candidate should have demonstrable experience in managing staff.
- Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG) preferred
- Flexibility to work weekends (as needed) and devote additional weekday hours as business needs dictate
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting as well as independently
- Employment history demonstrating initiative, strong work ethic, integrity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with diverse personalities.
- Minimum five years’ experience in the field of laboratory animal science
- Ability to provide work direction to staff in the field of laboratory animal science in daily operations
- Basic technical research skills (i.e. oral dose and blood collection on rat/mouse) desired
- Demonstrated advancement in the field of laboratory animal science
- Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) with documentation experience preferred
- Experience with diverse species (including non-human primate)
- Working knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel.
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Type: Experienced