Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across three primary sites in San Francisco and greater Chicago. They combine their expertise in tumor dependency, immuno-oncology, stem cells and cell-signaling with their knowledge of small molecules, biologics and antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs) to discover and develop novel cancer treatments.
We are seeking a seeking a highly motivated and skilled Cell/Molecular Biologist to conceive and execute novel scientific research that achieves project and area goals. He/she will generate new scientific proposals and lead those efforts in a laboratory-focused role. They will investigate, identify, develop and optimize new methods and techniques. Finally, they will act as a lead scientist in his/her area of expertise and critically evaluate relevant scientific and regulatory advances and integrate this knowledge into research or development programs. This position is based at AbbVie’s Lake County, Illinois location, north of Chicago.
- Tumor-intrinsic/genetically linked target identification followed by drug candidate development
- Leading and executing scientific research of early-stage discovery programs
- Ability to resolve key project hurdles with available information from literature and internal experts
- Ability to generate and execute novel hypotheses while maintaining a high level of productivity in the lab. Formulate conclusions and design follow-on experiments based on multidisciplinary data.
- Excellent skills in scientific writing for internal reports, external presentations, and publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- May mentor/supervise small group of scientists and evaluate the performance of those individuals if management skills demonstrated
- Bachelors, Masters or PhD in Cell/Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics/Genomics, Pharmacology, Oncology or related field with typically 10-12+ (BS), 8-10+ (MS) or 0-4+ (PhD) years of experience. Experience must be in cell/molecular biology, oncogenic pathways, cell death signaling and/or translational research in Oncology.
- Previous experience in drug discovery and/or translational research is preferred, but not required
- Impactful research experience as demonstrated by track record of publications, patents and/or scientific accomplishments is essential, as is the ability to engage internal and external scientific leaders in collaborative research.
- Technical proficiency in standard cellular and molecular biology techniques with a working knowledge of novel CRISPR screening technologies a must.
- Strong written and oral communication skills are essential.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced