The Discovery Platform Technologies group has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Scientist to join the Advanced Chemistry Technologies (ACT) team at AbbVie. This scientist will conceive and execute organic reaction transformations and contribute to the projects involving the application of biocatalysis in a drug discovery setting, including the development of methods for asymmetric synthesis and late-stage functionalization efforts. The candidate will act as a lead scientist in his/her area of expertise on one or more projects, and critically evaluate relevant scientific advances and integrate this knowledge into research programs.
- Apply biocatalytic methods to address synthetic chemistry problems.
- Maintain proficiency in organic chemistry synthesis.
- Participate in establishing project goals, defining short and long-term scientific strategies, and contribute to the generation of project-related documents and presentations.
- Generate new research or development strategies to effectively address project and divisional goals/needs.
- Collaborate with functional and technical experts to facilitate scientific achievement.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve key chemistry issues by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program
- Effectively write and communicate research and other regulatory materials
- Publish project-related research in high-impact factor peer-reviewed journals, R&D reports, patent applications and/or regulatory documents/filings
- Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility in maintaining scientific standards, and safe laboratory practices for self and reporting staff, if any
Position will be hired based on level of experience:
- PhD or MS in Organic Chemistry or related fields with 0+years (PhD); 8+ years (MS); or 10+ years (BS) of postdoctoral and/or pharmaceutical industry experience
- Demonstrate scientific initiative and creativity in research or development activities
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
- Hands-on experience in the area of biocatalysis, preferably in a drug discovery setting
- Experience in enzyme engineering
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages to reality
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced