- Serve as the leader of cross-functional Publications Team(s) for assigned assets, including leading team meetings/discussions and driving the development of strategic publication plans, incorporating input from key global stakeholders.
- Lead tactical execution of publication plans (ie, clinical manuscripts, abstracts, posters, and oral presentations) that fulfill medical/scientific objectives, meeting established timelines and budgets, and ensuring development of high-quality, scientifically accurate publications by internal medical writers and external vendors.
- Represent Global Medical Publishing and assigned Publications Teams at organizational cross-functional team meetings by actively contributing to discussions, and share important information with Global Medical Publishing staff and colleagues. Lead/participate in department initiatives/activities that impact medical publishing practices/processes.
- Provide managerial oversight of internal staff member(s) that support multiple compounds and/or indications of a major or complex product within a therapeutic area, including oversight of work product and activities, ensuring accuracy and adherence to timelines and Publication Policy and associated Procedures.
- Ensure all performance assessment responsibilities are achieved for direct reports. Provide training and feedback, resolve personnel issues, and manage talent retention for assigned staff.
- Address and resolve publications-related issues for assigned therapeutic areas and assets. Proficiently learn and apply therapeutic area and product knowledge to publication projects and publication planning.
- Develop and maintain expert knowledge of regulations, requirements, policies, and guidelines that apply to the preparation and production of publications, and ensure staff understands, complies, and applies them to work products.
- Provide expert guidance on publishing standards, trends, and practices to global stakeholders, including AbbVie senior leadership, company-wide functional areas, and Affiliates.
- Establish, maintain, and expand business relationships with staff from functional areas collaborating on publication projects/activities. Communicate effectively across functional areas and within department to accomplish project objectives. Present information in a professional, concise, clear, and objective manner.
- Implement systems or solutions to enhance efficiency, eliminate redundancy, reduce expenditure, and guarantee quality. Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate Policies and procedures.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree required. PhD, PharmD, Master’s Degree preferred. Relevant professional certification/credential (eg, CMPP, AMWA) is a plus.
- 5 years of medical/scientific publications (or related) experience required. Pharmaceutical industry or related (eg, medical communication agency) experience required.
- Demonstrated abilities in a leadership capacity required. Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance. Collaborative teamwork and leadership track record.
- Ability to understand and interpret medical data, and create and develop strategic communications required. Knowledge of product therapeutic area preferred.
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to senior management. Excellent business communication skills with aptitude for summarization, as well as detail orientation.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated. Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Demonstrated abilities in a staff oversight capacity. Working knowledge of applicable regulations and legislation.
- Ability to form, maintain, and lead productive cross-functional working teams, including addressing issues that arise.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement. Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation, and manages innovation to reality.
- Microsoft Office and Internet navigation proficiencies essential. Working knowledge of statistical concepts and techniques required.
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced