This Senior Counsel will become a key partner to support our legal needs of AbbVie’s Procurement and Supply Chain teams. The Senior Counsel will join a team of experienced attorneys and provide valuable legal support in negotiating complex agreements for the purchase of goods, services, and emerging technologies. In this role, the Senior Counsel will be expected to interact regularly and effectively with senior management, internal business stakeholders, and suppliers. They must be strategic and innovative while handling a high volume of matters and be focused on bringing those matters to a timely conclusion.
Primary Job Function:
Responsible for preparing, reviewing, and negotiating complex commercial agreements and providing counsel in various substantive areas of commercial law, including manufacturing supply; transportation, construction, engineering, distribution, warehousing, compliance, licensing, and healthcare.
Responsible for managing and providing legal support and counsel on a variety of commercial business transactions and supplier issues for the procurement and supplier management and supply chain organizations, including distribution, logistics, and warehousing teams.
Responsible for managing and providing legal support and counsel on state licensing issues for healthcare supply chain teams.
Responsible for managing external counsel and contract attorneys.
Core Job Responsibilities:
Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
The Senior Counsel
- Takes ownership of matters and projects.
- Identifies legal issues for assigned matters.
- Assists other attorneys and stakeholders in resolving legal issues on cross-functional projects.
- Develops knowledge of AbbVie’s business and client concerns.
- Keeps abreast of changes in the law.
- Represents AbbVie externally to customers, suppliers, and competitors.
- Resolves legal issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise.
- Helps select and direct work of outside counsel.
- Candidates must possess JD degree and state bar certification.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in corporate or general transactional law and a record of demonstrated success in negotiating complex commercial agreements and counseling clients on a wide range of commercial business issues.
- An understanding of legal issues related to procurement, manufacturing, transportation, distribution, logistics, IT, outsourcing, compliance, IP, privacy, and the health care industry are beneficial.
- The successful candidate will have strong legal, analytical, problem-solving, decision-making, innovation, risk assessment, drafting, negotiating, and client communication skills.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced