Discovery Platform Technologies has an opening for a Scientist II/Senior Scientist I in the Analytical and Purification Sciences group. This position will provide opportunities to devise innovative solutions to complex analytical and separation problems through the implementation and utilization of sophisticated instrumentation. Working as part of a dynamic team, you will collaborate with medicinal chemists across a range of programs within AbbVie's Discovery organization and your work will support the discovery and development of novel treatments.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Develop, operate, and maintain instrumentation for the analysis and purification of compounds from medicinal chemistry projects and high-throughput chemistry libraries using HPLC, SFC, and MS.
- Develop novel methods for high-throughput analysis to support new initiatives.
- Develop novel, cross-functional applications of analytical chemistry to advance drug discovery.
- Chiral analysis and purification of samples using supercritical fluid chromatography (SFC) and developing methods for the resolution of racemic drug molecules on milligram to gram scale by preparative chiral SFC.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program.
- Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility in maintaining scientific standards, and safe laboratory practices for self and reporting staff, if any.
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences. Effective writer and communicator of research or other regulatory materials.
- Keep accurate and current records of research and/or project related activities according to AbbVie policies.
- May supervise one or more direct reports and proactively engage in their development.
Job level will be based on education and years of experience.
- PhD, MS, or BS in Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry or closely related field with minimum of 0+years (PhD); 5+ years (MS); or 7+ years (BS) of job-related experience.
- Hands-on experience with LC-MS, preparative HPLC, preparative SFC, and mass spectrometry.
- Ability to operate and troubleshoot a variety of hardware/software platforms.
- Proven effective written and verbal communication skills and ability to interact effectively with scientists and engineers.
- Experience in synthetic organic chemistry and the ability to communicate effectively with medicinal and high throughput chemistry project teams.
- Postdoctoral and/or pharmaceutical industry experience.
- Experience with instrument maintenance, troubleshooting and design.
- Experience with programming and laboratory automation considered a plus.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to work within a team environment.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced