AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Scientist I, Bioinformatics - Virtual based
The Genomics Research Center (GRC) is a center of excellence for genetics and genomics that supports both Discovery and Development. The GRC plays an integral role towards our goal of developing extraordinary genetics and genomics research, focusing on finding the right targets and helping us better understand not only human disease biology but also the behavior of and response to our drugs in clinical trials! Within the GRC, the Department of Bioinformatics is responsible for data analysis and provides analytical insight for both internal and external data. This involves the identification and characterization of underlying genetic, epigenetic, or genomic factors that are associated with disease diagnosis, prognosis and response (efficacy and safety) to drug treatment, identification of new targets, and interpretation of the impact of genetic and genomic evidence from population-based studies. To support our data generation teams and therapeutic area bioinformaticians, we have an outstanding opportunity for an Scientist I, Bioinformatics in Lake County, Illinois, although we will consider full time remote work classification for qualified individuals.
- Support and develop the automated pipelines that enable rapid genomic data generation and processing within the GRC.
- Troubleshoot data processing and data management system and suggest novel concept/idea to improve existed systems.
- Develop structured data solutions capable of integrating datasets, as well as APIs that support multiple query modes.
- Manage the flow and processing of large datasets in a variety of HPC environments (traditional clusters, SGI supercomputers, cloud).
- Collaborate with AbbVie’s Information Research Scientific and Cloud Computing team to assure appropriate usage and availability of compute, storage, and networking resources.
- Work with key stakeholders to gather project requirements, define and meet milestones, and deliver solutions.
- Documentation and Code sharing/versioning
Level and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer and Electrical Engineering, Bioinformatics, or related field.
- Minimum 5 (BS) or 2 (MS) years of relevant experience.
- Technical proficiency and strong communication ability, as well as proficiency in 2 or more or related programming languages, such as Python, and BASH; Database management tools including MySQL, SQLite, Postrgres, or MongoDB; Workflow Description Languages, such as Snakemake, CWL or Nextflow; Code version control, such as git
- Demonstrated experience with containerization technology such as Docker or Singularity, with knowledge of orchestration methods.
- Familiarity with web application frameworks such as Flask, Django, or Rshiny.
- Demonstrated experience in Linux environments, distributed computing, and HPC in local and cloud computing environments
- Demonstrated experience in AWS cloud system such as S3, EC2, EKS or etc.
- Familiarity of standard tools and data formats related to gene expression, enrichment analysis, genetic, genomic, or epigenetic data (e.g, that which is encountered when analyzing high-throughput transcriptomic, whole exome, whole genome, whole methylome, GWAS, or targeted resequencing data)
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to thrive in a distributed and highly collaborative environment
- Experience with CI/CD process and test-driven development environment
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience with biology database, such as UK Biobank, 1000Genome, GTex
- Experience working with biological data related to diseases associated with cancer, neurodegenerative disease, immunological, or metabolic disorders are also desired
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs recently.
Phishing scam alert
As an online job seeker, you could be a target of cyber (online) thieves seeking to secure personal information from you by sending you “phishing” messages. Please be alert to and protect yourself from phishing scams. Find out how you can avoid being a victim of job phishing scams.
For Internal Candidates only - Notice of Filing of Labor Condition Application
Equal Employment Opportunity | Reasonable Accommodation