Gene therapy could provide long-lasting therapeutic effects and improve patients’ quality of life. There are several active R&D programs on gene therapy including a late-stage program on eyecare in AbbVie. Growing eye care franchise is also listed in AbbVie’s 2022 strategic road map. The visiting scientist is expected to do exploratory studies on bioanalytical assays which are currently being used in gene therapy field. For example: qPCR, ELISA assays, etc. The visiting scientist is expected to study how to apply these assays to support gene therapy projects. The visiting scientist is expected to present the results and give recommendations to senior level managers in the organization. Assignment will involve literature review, planning experiments, sample preparation and operation of analytical instruments. This assignment will require lab work, computer skills and collaboration with other scientists. Instructions and basic trainings on assays will be provided.
- Independently design experiments to answer key questions.
- Compare/contrast different analytical techniques and different instrument vendors to provide a recommendation for capital purchase if needed.
- Analyze experiment data, evaluate results and form conclusions.
- Collaborate with scientists in different areas.
- Read literature to expand both technical and theoretical understanding of projects.
- Recent (within 1 year) graduate of a doctoral program (PhD, Pharm D.) or current doctoral students in their last year.
- Must have studied one of the following disciplines: biology, biochemistry, biomedical engineering, biomedical sciences, cell biology, chemistry, chemical engineering, bioinformatics, microbiology, pharmaceutical sciences, or related field.
- Experience working in research labs or industrial biotech through internships.
- Possesses a strong academic performance and publication record.
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Strong communications skills and a self-starter.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced