The purpose of this position is to manage the import/export compliance activities to ensure adherence with all laws and regulations in the region and improving operational efficiencies. Also, this role will have oversight of the operational trade activities at each site involved in cross border movements. Key responsibilities include management of customs broker activities, act as the regional subject matter expert, development & deploy localized trade compliance procedures/policies, lead audit defense related to AbbVie’s international trade activity in the region, training of cross functional stakeholders, and supervise local trade issue resolution. This role will directly manage trade compliance personnel in US locations.
- Ensure that all import/export transactions are in compliance with local Customs Law in the region. Partner with GTC Functional Leads to continuously monitor and enhance the global trade compliance program.
- Apply advanced knowledge of regulations and requirements to support business requirements. Establish and maintain localized import and export procedures and ensure local business awareness and compliance with these requirements. Provide regional subject matter expertise on tariff code interpretation and designation, preferential trade programs, local licensing, documentation, and reporting.
- Provide guidance on local valuation determinations, including the assessment of additions or deductions to the price paid or payable. Regional oversight of all customs brokers used for the importing and exporting of goods. Work directly with local businesses and customs brokers to resolve day-to-day issues that result in border delays.
- Act as the primary point of contact with customs to address any requests for audits and inspections. Oversee financial and operational trade metrics and analyses and collaborate with the GTC leadership team to develop solutions/strategies to issues or opportunities. Lead and/or Support import/export/duty management projects that focus on driving efficiencies or cost savings for the company.
- Oversee the post entry audit of local business transactions and ensure corrective action plans are appropriately developed and implemented by the local businesses. Drive trade optimization feasibility studies and the cost-benefit analyses to ensure an understanding of all aspects of the opportunity (e.g. resourcing). Oversee the development and deployment of regional training plans and training material for local site and HQ leadership sessions.
- University degree in a related field (e.g., international trade, supply chain, logistics)
- 7+ years of experience in global trade compliance.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in project leadership.
- Experience presenting to and interacting with Senior Leadership.
- Ability to interpret government regulations and translate into strategic impact on regional goals.
- Strong negotiation skills to assist in dealing with regulatory officials and local business management.
- A high level of analytical ability to evaluate problems and determine the best solution for a particular situation.
- Ability to foster teamwork and internal and external relationships.
- Experience with global trade software platforms (e.g. SAP Global Trade Services module).
- Experience using Six-Sigma or similar tools to drive process improvements is preferred.
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced