AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Manager, Employee Relations
The Manager, Employee Relations will be responsible for executing the delivery of employee relations services to employees and managers in the US. This position is an individual contributor role and will provide a single point of contact for efficiently providing highly accessible expert employee relations interface across multiple businesses. The Manager, Employee Relations will be responsible for proactive and responsive approaches to employee relations issues that support a positive and productive work environment. This position ensures compliance with all relevant country laws, regulations, policies, and practices.
This position will work a hybrid work schedule at an AbbVie location in North Chicago, IL.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide expert consultative and problem-solving services to managers, employees, Business HR and OEC partners regarding HR policies and practices.
- Independently resolve policy & practice inquiries, performance management, workplace accommodations, ER investigations, and other assigned cases.
- Effectively and accurately maintains confidential ER data in both systems and other filing mechanisms.
- Ensure professional service is always provided in accordance with the expectations and guidelines of the ER department
- Define, lead and/or manage projects, which may include multi-functional teams.
- Create and deliver ER training to a variety of audiences in the business.
- Knowledge must address diverse and difficult problems or situations across multiple businesses.
- Considered the subject matter expert on a broad range of ER policies and practices.
- Effective at translating broader principles or the spirit of the guidelines / practices to the current situation and determine recommendation.
- Anticipates, identifies and meets internal and external customer needs/expectations.
- Effectively anticipates the unintended consequences and broader impact of decisions.
- Build and foster relationships with the business. Manages expectations and delivers results.
- Work closely with customers to jointly design solutions, balancing business, employee and legal needs.
- Identifies critical factors in a particular situation, identifies alternate courses of action and makes recommendations based upon all available facts.
- Facilitates gaining alignment from multiple functions and resolves disagreements independently Appropriately documents information related to cases and recommended outcomes.
- Takes a broad view of the problem looking at all alternatives and assesses impact on other groups before applying a solution.
- Demonstrates ability to plan, organize and execute to achieve favorable outcomes.
- Ability to identify and manage risk. Determine contingency plans appropriately.
- Decisions and actions have impact on organization.
- This role does not have direct reports but may be responsible for providing leading onboarding of new team members and providing guidance and/or oversight on cases managed by Sr. Specialist and Specialist roles when necessary.
- Assist with case load distribution, work schedules, and other departmental needs upon request
- Is expected to be a leader within the Employee Relations department and looked to assist with training and mentoring other Employee Relations team members.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business, Employee Relations or related field. Master’s in business or related field preferred.
- Strong organizational skills that include taking appropriate action to move open cases forward to resolution in a timely manner.
- Knowledge in MS Office – Windows environment
- More than 5 years progressive work experience in Employee Relations or other HR experience
- Knowledge of HR regulations, policies and procedures.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills that support building strong partnerships, appropriate influence, and portraying an objective and defensible position on situations.
- Exercise strong business judgment that is aligned with broad organizational philosophies and practices and is compliant with regulations.
- Makes effective decisions in ambiguous situations.
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the 'essence' and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
- Must be able to work independently and work well on internal and external teams. Acts as an informal mentor to team members in Specialist and Senior Specialist roles.
- May be assigned to lead projects and team goals
- Minimal travel outside of Illinois may be required
- Meets defined ER service level agreement.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs recently.
Phishing scam alert
As an online job seeker, you could be a target of cyber (online) thieves seeking to secure personal information from you by sending you “phishing” messages. Please be alert to and protect yourself from phishing scams. Find out how you can avoid being a victim of job phishing scams.
For Internal Candidates only - Notice of Filing of Labor Condition Application
Equal Employment Opportunity | Reasonable Accommodation