The Chief of Staff, Pharmacovigilance & Patient Safety (PPS) leads a team of Business and Operations Strategists that provide strategic and operational support to the VPs leading PPS departments. In addition, acts as the Chief of Staff to VP, Strategic Operations and indirectly to the VP, Pharmacovigilance & Patient Safety. Reports directly to the VP, Strategic Operations.
- Works directly with and frequently as delegate for department Vice President
- Responsible for monitoring, evaluating, and driving exceptional departmental performance across multiple business areas
- Design, oversight, and execution of business management routines, including strategic planning, financial, internal and external engagement, talent management, and management review
- Identifies, plans, leads, and tracks priority activities and projects of strategic importance
- Ensures global and cross-functional linkage and influence between department and internal and external partners.
- Leads the Business Operations & Strategy Team (~5 FTE)
- Primarily accountable for forecasting, construction, and management of budget across multiple business areas within department. Responsible for short- and long-term forecasts, scenario development, and dynamically evolving models.
- Provide leadership, analyzes budget favorability/unfavorability, and strategically manages with departments to ensure all Functional areas operate within the current Plan/Update budget. Partner with PPS Business Operations/Finance, Business Process Owners and department managers to financially plan upcoming initiatives and projects.
- Tracks, evaluates, and dynamically manages vendor budgets with departments and vendor management teams
- Leads cross departmental and cross-functional efforts to achieve multi-functional strategies and goals. Responsible for overseeing operations activities/ projects managed by others within department.
- Designs, oversees, executes, and contributes to long-term strategic planning and for department, using insight, research, and strong business acumen. Responsible for leading effort to develop departmental goals. Develops departmental goals. Makes strategic decisions that affect the department and the division. Provides leadership to the department on strategic business issues.
- Leads development of department external engagement strategy and annual plans, liaison with operational, scientific, and advocacy partners, and tracks portfolio of external activities including publications, congresses, regulatory/academic interactions, and industry consortia workstreams
- Independently leads activities and multiple self-initiated major projects. Assists management in the selection of action plans that best meets business objectives. Anticipates and leads issue resolution. Assures project portfolio remains in alignment with strategic initiatives.
- Oversees, coordinates, and monitors department business management routines including performance metrics, operating reviews, and management reviews. Ensures escalation and sustainable resolution and prevention of issues and deficiencies.
- Liaison with other departments and functions within AbbVie to foster strategic partnerships, opportunity identification and realization, and issue resolution
- Leads department communications including strategic objectives and messages, annual communication and forum planning, material development, and facilitation/delivery
- Bachelor/Master of Science (BSc/MSc), or MBA PhD in Science or Business-related Field. BSc with 13+ yrs MSc with 12+ yrs Ph.D. with 10+ yrs experience
- Recognized leader in standard business procedures including project management practices, portfolio review, finance, and budgeting.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with broad business orientation; excellent collaboration and presentation skills
- Expert operations management experience of 5+ years. Proven track record for successful projects.
- Recognized as an expert in business and strategy
- Requires multi-faceted, broad-based experience in leading cross-functional teams. Is considered to have in depth knowledge of operational business needs, issues, mitigation plans, etc.
- Operations experience with large budget and matrixed environment is required
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced