AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Associate Scientist II/ Scientist I, Protein Biochemistry
Seeking an experienced research scientist to join our Protein Sciences group at AbbVie's headquarters in the Chicago area. The successful candidate will work in a highly dynamic group to provide protein purification support for a variety of small molecule programs across different therapeutic areas in Discovery Research. The candidate should have protein purification experience and be proficient in all standard bioprocess and AKTA purifier.
- Perform purification of recombinant proteins using chromatographic methods.
- QC protein reagents for different applications. Characterize proteins via SDS-PAGE, western blot, and other biophysical methods.
- Ensure that experiments are planned and coordinated cross-functionally, as well as executed effectively. Handle or communicate issues in a timely manner.
- Provide scientific insight to overcome issues (ex: solubility, purity, heterogeneity, yield).
- Continuously drive for improved process performance.
- Generate associated technical reports and documents.
- Able to work independently as well as within a team environment. Be accountable for technical performance and help drive results of the team.
- BS or MS in molecular biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, or other relevant biological sciences.
- BS with 3+ years or MS with 0+ years of related experience required. Job level will be commensurate with experience.
- Proven experience in protein expression and purification. Familiarity with the AKTA purification system is preferred.
- Prior experience in supporting protein structural biology and biophysical characterizations of proteins is beneficial, but not required.
- Good problem-solving and communication skills.
- Good record keeping and able to efficiently manage several projects simultaneously in a dynamic environment.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs recently.
Phishing scam alert
As an online job seeker, you could be a target of cyber (online) thieves seeking to secure personal information from you by sending you “phishing” messages. Please be alert to and protect yourself from phishing scams. Find out how you can avoid being a victim of job phishing scams.
For Internal Candidates only - Notice of Filing of Labor Condition Application
Equal Employment Opportunity | Reasonable Accommodation