AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Associate Scientist II / Scientist I, Genome Biology - Genomics Research Center
The Genomics Research Center (GRC) is a center of excellence for genetics and genomics that supports both Discovery and Development. The GRC goal is to develop world class genetics and genomics research focused on finding the right therapeutic targets and helping AbbVie scientists better understand not only human disease biology but also the behavior of and response to our drugs in clinical trials across all therapeutic areas.
The Genome Biology group within the GRC is involved in implementing and developing new tools and approaches to support experimental validations of genetic variants (coding and non-coding) in human diseases, facilitating better understanding of disease biology mechanisms leading to discovery of novel therapeutic targets in collaboration with therapeutic areas (TA’s) like Immunology, Oncology, Neuroscience, Ophthalmology, and Aesthetics.
The group is currently seeking a highly motivated Associate Scientist II / Scientist I to assist in the implementation of new ‘omic’ methodologies (epigenomics, transcriptomics, etc) to address gene function and role of causal variants (coding/ non-coding) supporting our Ophthalmology collaboration.
- Execution of in vitro experiments in immortalized and primary human cells lines
- Develop, implement, and document new experimental protocols/techniques
- Understand relevant scientific literature and apply theoretical framework to solving problems.
- Contribute on various projects and foster cross-functional collaborations
- Contribute to team presentations and publications and present research at internal meetings
- Contribute to lab maintenance tasks and routine upkeep (instrument maintenance follow up ,stocking supplies etc.)
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Cell, Molecular, or Developmental Biology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Immunology or a related life sciences field
- Associate II requires a BS with typically 3+ years of experience or MS and no experience required
- Scientist I requires a BS with typically 5+ years of experience or MS with typically 2+ years
- Extensive bench research experience and enjoys a laboratory-focused role in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary team
- Proficiency in human (primary, and/or immortalized) in vitro cell culture required
- Experience with basic cell and molecular biology techniques such as cell transfection and transduction, immunofluorescence, western blot, light microscopy, RNA/DNA extraction, luciferase assays, PCR, qRT-PCR
- Ability to design, execute and interpret experiments independently.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills paired with a strong work ethic.
- Experience using gene editing tools (CRISPR, TALEN, or ZFN).
- Experience with various genomic technologies such as RNAi, NGS, RNA Seq, ChIP (chromatin immunoprecipitation), ChIP-seq, as examples.
- Illumina NGS library prep
- Flow cytometry
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs recently.
Phishing scam alert
As an online job seeker, you could be a target of cyber (online) thieves seeking to secure personal information from you by sending you “phishing” messages. Please be alert to and protect yourself from phishing scams. Find out how you can avoid being a victim of job phishing scams.
For Internal Candidates only - Notice of Filing of Labor Condition Application
Equal Employment Opportunity | Reasonable Accommodation