AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Principal Medical Writer (Remote)
The Principal Medical Writer is responsible for providing clinical regulatory document support to the clinical teams, ensuring successful preparation of high-quality submission-ready documents and effective implementation of the writing process. Provides medical writing expertise for multiple compounds/devices and/or projects within the Aesthetics area. Interfaces with external groups (e.g. PK, Toxicology, eSubmissions, Regulatory, Statistical Support, Data Management, Clinical, Publishing) to ensure accurate and timely completion/delivery of information and review of clinical regulatory submissions. Serves as the scientific writing content expert for the department.
- Serves as medical writing lead on more complex clinical regulatory documents, such as those associated with filings and dossiers. Works closely with the Regulatory team(s) on document strategies. Implements all activities related to the preparation and compilation of data and information into a single comprehensive package for new and updated clinical regulatory documents.
- Serves as a subject matter expert within department for the Aesthetics area. As assigned, provides direction and guidance to medical writers regarding assigned projects, including review of work product. Provides input and feedback to management regarding internal medical writers' work product/quality. Recognizes potential scheduling and resource conflicts for projects across therapeutic area/product assignments and provides recommendations to resolve.
- Converts relevant data and information into a form that meets clinical regulatory document requirements. Explains data in manner consistent with clinical regulatory requirements. Coordinates the review, approval, and other appropriate functions involved in the production of clinical regulatory projects. Arranges and conducts review meetings with the team. Ensures required documentation is obtained.
- Responsible for effective communication among team members. Communicates deliverables needed, writing process, and timelines to team members. Holds team members accountable to agreed-upon project dates. Negotiates with functional areas on project outcomes and deliverables to meet conflicting demands (time, deliverables, etc.). Must identify and resolve conflicts (including document content issues), remove barriers, generate innovative ways to ensure teams achieve project goals.
- Understands, assimilates, and interprets sources of info with appropriate guidance/direction from product teams and/or authors. Interprets and explains data generated from a variety of sources, including internal/external studies, research documentation, charts, graphs, and tables. Verifies that results are consistent with protocols. Confirms completeness of info to be presented. Challenges conclusions when necessary. Independently resolves document content issues and questions.
- Understands/complies with appropriate conventions, proper grammar usage, and correct format requirements per ICH and other governing bodies following applicable divisional guidelines, templates, and SOPs.
- Performs literature searches as needed for drafting document content. Interprets literature information and makes recommendations for application to clinical regulatory documents.
- Works with Regulatory Quality Assurance throughout clinical regulatory document audit process, answers questions during the audit process (as appropriate) and works with team to draft responses as necessary.
- Maintains expert knowledge of local and international regulations, requirements, and guidance associated with clinical regulatory document preparation and submissions. Advises teams regarding compliance with clinical regulatory document content as defined in regulations. Must continually train/be compliant.
- Serves as a department representative on project teams. Acts as Subject Matter Expert for assigned clinical teams regarding computer-based technologies utilized by the respective departments (e.g. eDocs, ARCH, and eCTD databases). Coaches, mentors, and assists medical writers. Provides guidance to non-AbbVie medical writers and external vendors/agencies. Recommends, leads, and implements tactical process improvements, both within the department and division-wide.
- Bachelor of Science required, with significant relevant writing experience, or Bachelor's degree in English or communications, with significant relevant science experience. Masters or PhD in science discipline preferred with relevant writing experience.
- Relevant industry experience in medical writing in the healthcare industry or academia required or in a related area such as quality, regulatory, clinical research, or product support/R&D. Clinical regulatory device writing experience preferred.
- Experience in experimental design and clinical/preclinical data interpretation preferred.
- High-level content writing experience and experience with all types of clinical regulatory documents required. Expert in assimilation and interpretation of scientific content with adeptness in ability to translate for appropriate audience. Working knowledge of statistical concepts and techniques.
- Expert knowledge of local and international regulations, requirements, and guidance associated with clinical regulatory document preparation and submissions and ability to advise teams regarding compliance with regulations. Knowledge and expertise with Common Technical Document content templates. Expert knowledge of current electronic document management systems and information technology. Knowledge of Medical Device Regulation (MDR) preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Superior attention to detail. Ability to find and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar, consistency, clarity and accuracy.
- Expert in word processing, flow diagrams, and spreadsheets. Excellent working knowledge of software programs in Windows environment.
- Extensive experience in working with collaborative, cross-functional teams, including project management experience.
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. If you would like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email CorpJat_ABV@abbvie.com.
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs recently.
Phishing scam alert
As an online job seeker, you could be a target of cyber (online) thieves seeking to secure personal information from you by sending you “phishing” messages. Please be alert to and protect yourself from phishing scams. Find out how you can avoid being a victim of job phishing scams.
For Internal Candidates only - Notice of Filing of Labor Condition Application
Equal Employment Opportunity | Reasonable Accommodation