AbbVie Medicinal Chemistry is an outstanding scientific organization that functions throughout AbbVie’s therapeutic areas including Oncology, Immunology, Neuroscience and Virology. The AbbVie Medicinal Chemistry team excels at drugging challenging targets and works daily to solve challenging synthetic chemistry and medicinal chemistry problems to deliver potentially life-changing compounds. AbbVie Medicinal chemists work cross-functionally to design and synthesize novel small molecules that combine target activity, safety and pharmacokinetics required for robust clinical drug candidates.
We are seeking an experienced chemist to join the Medicinal Chemistry team within AbbVie’s Discovery Oncology organization. The ideal candidate has a strong background in organic synthesis often with experience in organic synthetic methodology, total synthesis, biochemistry, or medicinal chemistry. Strong collaboration and presentation skills are essential for working effectively within our multidisciplinary R&D environment.
AbbVie is at the forefront of cancer research, discovering and developing the next generation of treatments to address unmet medical need for cancer patients. Our strong pipeline includes both small molecule and biologic therapeutic approaches with first in class agents that target multiple pathways central to the growth and survival of both solid and hematological malignancies.
In this role you will:
- Work collaboratively as part of a medicinal chemistry team.
- Conceive and execute medicinal chemistry research and development in support of AbbVie’s oncology product portfolio.
- Utilize synthetic organic chemistry expertise to drive the SAR optimization cycle toward project goals.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Generate new synthetic and medicinal chemistry proposals and lead experimental efforts
- Participate in establishing project goals, defining short and long-term scientific strategies, and contribute to the generation of project-related documents and presentations.
- May supervise one or more direct reports and proactively engage in their development.
- May supervise CRO resources and ensure their high productivity.
- Follow current/relevant literature and incorporate into individual project and overall program
- Effectively present or communicate research and other materials within department as well as cross-functionally
- Consistently investigate, identify, develop, and optimize new scientific methods / techniques and integrate this knowledge into research programs
- Work cross-functionally with colleagues across the organization to progress projects.
- Keep accurate and current records of research and/or project related activities according to AbbVie policies.
- Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility in maintaining scientific standards, and safe laboratory practices for self and reporting staff, if any.
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences.
Position will be hired based on level of education and experience.
- Bachelors, Masters, PhD in Organic Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, or related field with typically 10-12+ (BS), 8-10+ (MS) or 0-4+ (PhD) years of experience
- Postdoctoral or pharmaceutical industry experience desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve key scientific hurdles by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
- Exceptional communication skills; ability to develop, implement and clearly communicate chemistry strategies and progress to team.
- Build strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of teams to enable higher performance
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced