Background of Research and Early Development group:
Research and Early Development (RED) is part of the Biologics Analytical Research & Development organization. RED is a protein characterization group focused on mass spectrometry (MS) and analytical innovation. RED works globally with AbbVie’s Discovery and Development Sciences teams to support the biologics screening funnel from lead optimization to candidate selection.
AbbVie Biologics Analytical Research & Development is a global analytical sciences organization responsible for all CMC analytical activities related to the development of AbbVie's pharmaceutical products. Our scope includes AbbVie's diverse pipeline of innovative therapeutic biologic medicines and spans from the selection of Discovery candidate molecules through the transition of analytical methods and testing to commercial labs to support product launch. We are building a world-class team of scientists and leaders who will drive the advancement of industry-leading analytical capabilities and make substantial contributions to advance AbbVie's pipeline of innovative medicines! Careers in AbbVie Analytical R&D provide unique opportunities to work with global and cross-functional teams to drive exceptional science and innovative product development strategies. We are looking for diverse candidates with strong scientific and leadership experience to join the AbbVie Analytical R&D team and can offer exciting and rewarding career opportunities for these candidates.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced scientist with a strong background in mass spectrometry and deeper understanding of protein aggregation mechanism.
* We can hire for the role in our Lake County, IL campus or Worcester, MA campus.
- Characterization of monoclonal antibodies, Antibody-Drug-Conjugates, novel multi-specifics and fusion proteins.
- Employ modern LC-MS instruments to understand structural information insight of therapeutic biologic molecules and asses their quality.
- Compilation and assessment of analytical data (e.g., mass spec) regarding function and stability of the molecule to support candidate screening in high throughput. Elucidation of structure and impurity/variant characterization of antibody-based drug materials.
- Ability to build and manage strategic alignments with key stakeholders, revise and improve business workflows, manage project timelines and resources. Develops the optimal CMC development path for assigned discovery projects together with clients from various discovery and development functions with an emphasis on collaboration, quality and with a sense of urgency.
- Operates in a matrix team environment, aligning across and executing shared departmental and divisional strategies. Additionally, the candidate has the communication skills, confidence and experience to influence strategic outcomes with stakeholders and matrix teams as needed.
- Data review, documentation and preparation of technical memos and reports. Mentor junior staff on troubleshooting equipment and experimental problems
- Provision of scientific expertise and engagement in cross-functional teams within AbbVie. Takes initiative to develop independent research ideas and pursues scientific questions that may arise during candidate selection/ nomination screening studies. Presents data at internal and external professional conferences and prepares manuscripts for publication in peer reviewed journals or patent applications.
- PhD degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, (structural) biology or related field (0-4 years)
- At least 2 years of experience in comprehensive characterization of monoclonal antibodies in an industry setting are beneficial
- Deep understanding of protein characterization by LC/ESI-HR-MS (e.g., peptide Mapping, intact mass analysis) and insights into the causes for protein aggregation
- Knowledge of functional excipient degradation pathways is a plus
- Profound expertise in determination of PTM and chemical modifications and their influence on the molecule’s function and structure
- Additional robotics expertise and protein analytical experience (e.g., SEC, IEX, HIC, CE) is beneficial
- Highly motivated, self-driven and results-oriented person with excellent communication and presentation skills
- High degree of flexibility in adapting to different projects and people; embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
- Excellent team player with the ability to build strong networks with peers
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of teams to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Level and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
An equal opportunity employer. AbbVie welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced