Medical Director/ Senior Medical Director, Clinical Development - Immuno Oncology
Leads the direction, planning, execution and interpretation of clinical trials or research activities of one or more clinical development programs. Participates in and may lead cross-functional teams to generate, deliver and disseminate high-quality clinical data supporting overall product scientific and business strategy.
- Leads and demonstrates ownership of the design and implementation of multiple clinical development programs (or one large, complex program) in support of the overall product development plan, based on strong medical and scientific principles, knowledge of compliance and regulatory requirements, AbbVie’s customers, markets, business operations and emerging issues. Oversees project-related education of investigators, study site personnel and AbbVie study staff. Responsibility may extend from early translational development activities to mature product lifecycle management strategies for internal and/or partnered programs.
- Has overall responsibility for leading clinical study teams, monitoring overall study integrity and review, interpretation and communication of accumulating data pertaining to safety and efficacy of the molecule. Along with Clinical Operations, is responsible for ensuring agreed-upon study enrollment and overall timelines for key deliverables. Responsible for assessment and reporting of serious adverse events per corporate policy and regulations for those protocols on which assigned.
- Primary responsibility for and ownership of design, analysis, interpretation, and reporting of scientific content of protocols, Investigator Brochures, Clinical Study reports, regulatory submissions and responses and other program documents.
- May oversee the work of Medical and/or Scientific Directors and of Clinical Scientists working on the same or related programs.
- May serve on or chair Evidence Integrated Strategy Team(s), with responsibility for development of a rigorous, cross-functionally-aligned, vetted Clinical Development Plan with full consideration of contingencies and alternative approaches. In the role of EIST Chair, responsibilities may include supervision of matrix team members and serving as Clinical Research representative to lend clinical development and medical expertise to Asset Development Teams (ADTs) and ADT Leadership Boards (ALBs) and/or other cross-functional teams and internal stakeholders.
- Serves as an in-house clinical expert for one or more molecules and diseases in the therapeutic area, coordinating and leading appropriate scientific and medical activities with internal stakeholders as they relate to ongoing projects. May participate in or lead clinical development contributions to due diligence or other business development activity. As required by program needs, contributes in partnership with Discovery colleagues to design and implementation of translational strategies.
- Acts as clinical lead and actively solicits opinion leader interactions related to the disease area(s); partners with Medical Affairs, Commercial and other functions in these activities as required, consistent with corporate policies, to ensure that broad cross-functional perspectives are incorporated into Clinical Development Plans and protocols as appropriate.
- Stays abreast of professional information and technology through conferences, medical literature and other available training, to augment expertise in the therapeutic area. May represent AbbVie at key external meetings.
- Responsible for understanding the regulatory requirements related to the clinical studies and global drug development and accountable for complying with those requirements. Serves as a clinical representative for key regulatory discussions.
- Ensures adherence to Good Clinical Practices, pharmacovigilance standards, standard operating procedures and to all other quality standards in conducting research.
- Medical Doctor (M.D.), Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.), or non-US equivalent of M.D. degree with relevant therapeutic specialty in an academic or hospital environment. Completion of a residency program strongly preferred. Completion of a subspecialty fellowship is desirable.
- At least 5 years (7 years preferred) of clinical trial experience in the pharmaceutical industry, academia, or equivalent.
- Ability to run a complex clinical research program independently.
- Proven leadership skills and ability to bring out the best in others on a cross-functional global team. Must be able to lead through influence.
- Ability to interact externally and internally to support a global scientific and business strategy.
- Extensive knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory and compliance requirements governing clinical trials, and experience in development of clinical strategy and the design of study protocols.
- Must possess excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Ability to exercise judgment and address complex problems and create solutions for one or more projects.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced