Seeking a highly-motivated and experienced research scientist to join our Protein Sciences group at our corporate headquarters located in the Chicago area. As part of a dynamic group responsible for cloning, expression, purification, and biophysical characterization of protein targets, the Scientist II / Senior Scientist I will be expected to devise and implement protein biochemistry strategies to drive key drug discovery activities (i.e. assay development, screening, structure-based drug design, exploratory biology, etc) across the pipeline.
Applicants should be highly skilled in recombinant protein engineering and purification as well as protein biophysical characterization. We seek candidates experienced in working with a variety of different expression systems who have a solid understanding of protein sciences, structural biology and biophysics. Candidates should be able to work independently in a collaborative, team-oriented setting with ability to productively manage several projects simultaneously in a dynamic and rapidly evolving project landscape.
- Express and purify proteins to support assay development, HTS screens, biophysical assays and crystallization.
- Critically QC protein reagents for different applications.
- Closely work with project biology groups to understand project needs and design proper experiments.
- Follow up on related literature to provide clone design ideas and other protein biochemistry suggestions.
- Evaluate scientific literature to identify and adopt novel experimental approaches and technologies to facilitate research.
- Independently propose, design and execute experiments. Work on data analysis, documentation and communication of the results to team members and broader research organization.
- MS or PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics or related field
- MS candidates must have minimum 5 years of relevant academic and/or pharmaceutical industry
- Demonstrated ability to purify proteins ranging from domains to challenging large multi-subunit and protein complexes
- Experience in protein design and protein biochemistry.
- Experience with characterization of proteins by analytical and biophysical methods to monitor conformation, oligomerization and stability
- Experience using ACTA purification systems is a plus
- Good problem-solving skills, ability to find innovative ways to overcome issues (i.e. solubility, purity, heterogeneity, yield) with challenging proteins.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to contribute in a multidisciplinary environment are essential.
- Good record keeping and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously in a dynamic environment.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced