AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Scientific Director, Human Genetics
The Genomics Research Center (GRC) is a center of excellence for genetics and genomics that supports both Discovery and Development. The GRC plays an integral role towards our goal of developing world class genetics and genomics programs, focusing on finding the right targets and helping us better understand not only human disease biology but also the behavior of and response to our drugs in clinical trials. One of the pillars of the GRC, the Department of Human Genetics, is responsible for analyzing and interpreting data from large genetic sequencing databases to identify and characterize novel targets for the treatment of diseases across multiple therapeutic areas. We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Scientist with medical expertise, based in North Chicago, IL within the Human Genetics team.
- Provide expertise and coordinate clinical activities for human genetic databases, and real word data
- Represent the GRC on various clinical teams involved in defining and harmonizing clinical phenotype information captured in external databases.
- Define disease progression and treatment through claims or electronic medical records
- Provide medical expertise for genetic, genomic or epigenetic studies applied to AbbVie clinical trials.
- Collaborate with Medical Directors in Clinical Development to identify relevant questions and design studies related to drug response or disease etiology.
- Collaborate with scientists across different Discovery therapeutic areas to interpret and incorporate genetic findings into new targets or for validation of existing targets.
- Provide support for external collaborations and consortia involving human genetic cohorts
- PhD, PharmD and/or MD with 10+ years experience required.
- Relevant experience in genomics, molecular biology, and Genomic Medicine (rare disease genetics and physiological genomics, systems biology of common complex disease)
- Deep knowledge of translating genomic data into clinically relevant results.
- Experience interpreting clinical data from real world data.
- Experience with large-scale research projects interpreting genetic data (e.g. whole exome and whole genome), array based genotype data in conjunction with clinical, real world and other data
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills.
- A medical degree, with a strong background in genetic association studies, knowledge of how drugs are developed.
- The Candidate should have demonstrated the ability to design and lead human genetics studies delivering novel genetic findings and medically relevant gene discoveries.
- Experience in using Human genetics for target discovery and target validation.
- Experience working with large human genetic sequencing databases coupled to EMR and claims data.
- Experience interpreting family-based and rare disease genetic studies
- Strong oral and written communication skills in a collaborative environment
- Minimal clinical trial or medical affairs experience in the pharmaceutical industry or academia or equivalent. 1-2 years of experience is preferred.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Job Type: Experienced
Minimum Salary $168,000
Maximum Salary $328,000
Recently viewed opportunities
You have not viewed any jobs recently.
Phishing scam alert
As an online job seeker, you could be a target of cyber (online) thieves seeking to secure personal information from you by sending you “phishing” messages. Please be alert to and protect yourself from phishing scams. Find out how you can avoid being a victim of job phishing scams.
For Internal Candidates only - Notice of Filing of Labor Condition Application
Equal Employment Opportunity | Reasonable Accommodation